Google Chromecast

Pixy Angel

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 2d

Did you get this sorted angel? Looking at getting one myself

Hi Pat no mate havent had time put hoping to have a look tonight.

Ill let you know when its all sweet bro.

Its easy as im sure just do it Pat

EDIT Samsung mate

Edited by Pixy Angel

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 3d

OK, so all I really want to do is watch you tube vids on my TV - is chromecast a good idea?

Mr Pat.....if watching YouTube on TV is all you want...then yes this thing works!

A little bit fiddley trying to set it up the first time (need to download app & cause we dont have wifi I had to setup our other Iphone as a wifi hotspot) but yeah got it to work in the end :P

I was hoping for full mirroring of phone/laptop (which I don't think you can do....but I haven't researched properly)....and was probably wishful thinking on my part

But yes; watching Youtube is fine!

I used it through my phone (S4) and the mrs IPhone 5 .... (might be even easier through the IPad too?). Just gotta spend more time researching full capabilities; as its been out for a while and theres bulk reviews like the one Dagabond put up

Edited by PTR_NITRO_FG
  • Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 4d

If using a PC/lappy you can stream anything that you can see/hear in your browser - as well.

Most of my TV shows/movies I stream from the web, so it's handy to just flick them over to the big screen, minimise the window and keep browsing/working at the desk while the show plays on the telly in the background.

It's not going to be (much of) a solution for a properly setup home theater where dedicated hardware will fill the requirements a lot better, but for a quite cheap, relatively easy way to be able to use your TV more than you currently do it's pretty bloody good.

Moved the flat screen out onto the veranda last time I was down the van and watched the F1 while relaxing on the deck having a beer by steaming it from the lappy. 1 power cord to the TV was all I needed. Without the chromecast I'd have needed to run a long antenna lead (which I didn't have) or hook the lappy direct (which would mean I couldn't have browsed the forum while watching the F1) and probably wouldn't have bothered.

This was all just using the internet sharing on my phone (I do have a lot of mobile data quota to play with)

The little fella likes watching his cartoons on his lappy - flick them across to the big screen and he's pretty wrapped.

As more and more content becomes available for direct streaming (rather than local copies) the little gadget is only going to get better and better. As more and more apps add chromecast support it's also only going to go up.

If you're looking for a 1080p, 7.1 flawless solution for your loungeroom then you'll fall very short with the dongle. If you want to be able to use the TV as a second, larger screen for your phone/tablet/lappy/PC that can play what it's able to then you'll likely be satisfied.

• Like 1

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 22d

OK, so all I really want to do is watch you tube vids on my TV - is chromecast a good idea?

I don't use a PC, I rarely look at my laptop, I can do everything generally form my phone or iPad. Should I just get apple TV and use the iPad or chromecast for my phone?

On top of the great advice after your post Pat, I would just like to add.............

Buy a Smart TV coz Youtube app is installed on all new ones (I'm fairly sure)

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 22d

Thanks for the replies :spoton:

Ben, you have a good point - I need a new TV for the theater room which will be a proper investment, I'll probably make it a smart TV too!

Anyway, for $50 I'll probably pick up a chromecast and give it a go.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Pat you prob wouldn't want these brands for a home theatre room but Soniq and Hisense tv's now have working versions (not busted or fake) of Android built in and I believe they also have built in wifi (I think the Hisense has dual band also). I have the older 55inch lcd's in my bedroom and my daughters and they pretty much play any format but I only watch my downloaded tv shows on them with wireless headphones!

If any other major brands like Samsung, Sony Panasonic etc have Android built in then I would be jumping on them as there is a working app for nearly everything on Android and with HDMI ARC (audio return channel) built in to most things these days it's a no brainer

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Also forgot to mention that allot of people on the DTV forum have either owned or used the Popcorn Hour but tbh there are so many media devices it's not funny but if you want a product to play any and every video and sound format well then you simply have to pay for it! I download just about everything but I also buy bluray discs of those that I want untainted... Mind you though I have rips of 2gb movie files that you would be hard pushed to notice a difference over the bluray disc (on my 120in scope screen) but this is mainly because of who rips them and also the most important part is the player itself!

Overall I like XBMC or whatever they have called it now but this is mainly for tv shows or my daughter to watch movies on while I sit here at the laptop typing this dribble...

• Like 1