Bar & Plate Vs Tube & Fin

Stigmata

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 6d

Okay so after lots of requests I have decided to run a back to back test between a bar and plate core and a tube and fin core. The bar and plate core was sourced from overseas, has internal offset fins, so is up with usual type being offered. Earlier bar and plate coolers didn't have offset internal fins but rather a straight pressed configuration. The offsetting of internal fins helps further the increase internal surface area which is so vital to efficient thermal transfer as well as helping turbulate the charge air. This is due to something called laminar flow which is another topic in itself.

The tube and fin core being used is the latest offering from Europe with thin laser welded tubes and also an internal offset fin arrangement. Unlike many "extruded" tube designs which are rather heavy and are fast becoming dated.

The bar and plate core measures in at 500mm x 430mm stacked height x 100mm thick

The tube and fin measures in at 480mm x 430 x 100mm thick

On the scales the tube and fin core is almost 5kg lighter than the bar and plate

Bar and plate 12.5kg

Tube and Fin 7.6kg

The next most interesting thing is total flow area of the two cores. The bar and plate has 23 flow tubes, while the tube and fin has only 19. The flow area was calculated and I didn't expect this much of a difference to be honest

Bar and Plate 107.525 cm2 of flow area

Tube and Fin 178.695 cm2 of flow area

This does become a very important factor in thermal exchange rates as it effects air speed throughout the coolers tubes. For obvious reasons thermal transfer rates are varied greatly by the amount of time the charge air spends within the coolers tubes to exchange thermal energy with the atmosphere. If the flow area is small then air speed is higher than that of a larger flow area where charge air will have more time for effective thermal transfer. Hope that makes sense

Anyway here are some pics. This will take me a fair amount of time as I need to squeeze it all in between jobs. I will conduct a back to back test on the same vehicle on the same day with identical tanks on the coolers and keep the playing field as fair as possible logging before and after cooler temps, power etc etc. This test is not to be biased in anyway whatsoever as I am open to both types of cores. Each has their place and both have greatly different costs. Hope everyone can enjoy the write up

post-55579-0-89795300-1414320788_thumb.j

post-55579-0-34701100-1414320926_thumb.j

post-55579-0-72116400-1414321059_thumb.j

• Like 15

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

If you are quoting numbers there is a lot more to it than flow area. There is internal volume and internal / external surface area.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Obviously internal volume is a direct reflection on flow area X the tube lengths given? External surface area is going to have to be close enough given the fin pitches are a non varible from both manufacturers.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Wait till you build them. Make the end tanks the same volume. Then fill them with liquid and measure. I think you will be surprised..

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Ok if you would like me to do that Arrom no problems at all. Will do a total volume check on both coolers once they have tanks on. If there are any other requests let me know anyone as I dont want to do this twice lol

• Like 9