Surge Tank + Fuel Pump, When Do You Need Them And Why?

rollex

• Member For: 9y 10m 11d

If your say under 550rwkw I wouldn't think so

Above that you sort of belong in fuel cell territory

Although I'd like to see what the twin 460 in tanks will go to.

Where did 550rwkw come from and why not 500rwkw?

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

Not quite what you're after but a quick google shows it killing engines over on a Lotus forum so it's not like it never happens to cars.

I lost my engine in a similar situation, which is why I built this. Last October, I was pushing hard at the end of a nice cool day (low on fuel) playing cat and mouse with a Cup255 car. We have a big left hand carousel that sustains several seconds excess of a G side load. My car would always fuel starve and putter 2/3s of the way through that sweeper with anything much less than a full tank it seemed. I would instantly lift on the throttle to thwart off detonation when I felt the "putter". Data logs show 15+ AFR. The time my engine let loose, in the spirit of keeping pace with the car in front of me, I foolishly decided to push the engine through the "putter" just one time.LOL- one timerolleyes.gif... That was the end of that engine.

Here's a pic of the B series tank to aid visualising the fuel movement, I drew a P next to the pump which is towards the front of the car.

yBvcFQL.png

I'd prefer an intank solution as well as it's the best of both worlds as stated above.

General day to day flogging I haven't needed one in over 200,000km (most of that modded to 320 odd rwkw). But I've been sure not to hammer it when low and never taken it downa 1/4 or 800m run with less than 2/5 of a tank. No AFR gauge for me so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Edited by -Stever-

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 18d

Surges are a quick & dirty way of masking other problems in your fuel system. I'm 100% with mattyP. KPM will tell you it's not needed, they have a cheaper, legal, stock fitting unit that will do the same job better and keep the fuel cooler as it's not getting squeezed by 2 pumps. Really for what we will do track use wise, std swirl is more than enough. And if it's not kpm also sell an upgraded twin pump in a large swirl for 800kw or some ridiculous thing

(Insert KPM post/sales pitch below)

• Member For: 10y 4m 12d

I would have thought it was poor design. I dont think you need to look hard to find evidence of a fuel supply issue on a boosted car, I think the best case scenario is that its a complete fuel pickup issue and it cuts out quickly. I cant run my car below 1/4 tank and roll into it with the 460lph walbro pump in the stock pot and that's just with 300rwkw or so. Regardless of the cause, the only solutions I can see is either trying one of those "big pot" fuel pump setups with a walbro 460, or just going aftermarket tank. Having said that I dont think its necessary to spend $1000 on a bling tank with a $150 pump that you'll never see.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Those Intanks can still suffer surge. It only takes seconds at high boost with lean fuel and your pistons will be ventilated.

• Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 20d

Fark me dead. Why did no one ever tell me that surge tanks are illegal. Isnt it the tuners duty to at least warn customers about this?

I shall crawl into the corner and brace myself into the fetal position and rock from side to side.

:(

• Like 2

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

"Track use only" :)

• Member For: 9y 10m 11d

Fark me dead. Why did no one ever tell me that surge tanks are illegal. Isnt it the tuners duty to at least warn customers about this?

I shall crawl into the corner and brace myself into the fetal position and rock from side to side.

:(

They aren't illegal if you get an engineer to sign off that it meets the Australian design regulations.