Actuator Pre Load

Bizkets is Drunk?

• Member For: 11y 2m 20d

The turbo smart installation manual said to adjust the actuator rod until the hole on the end overlaps the pin on the flapper arm by 2mm with the flap closed. Than use pressure ( compressed air ) to operate the actuator so the hole & pin can be aligned and installed. Hope this makes sense. The manual had pictures & diagrams with helped explain it.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

Was going to ask the same question sometime soon

So is that amount of preload pretty std across the board regardless of turbo, actuator etc.?

I need to set preload on the billet wheeled GT3582 I got together for my FG

Though the guy before me put a cut in the actuator outer rod and then by the look of it squeezed it in the vice to keep from moving... so if possible I will be just adjusting the rotation of the front cover to suit, at least as far as cooler pipework allows.

And then I'm guessing the idea is to hit the actuator with compressed air with a gauge in the line to check psi that actuator flapper cracks open?

Appreciate any pointers and/or constructive criticism, cheers

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 2m 20d

^ this was my first time setting one up so I just followed the instructions that came with the actuator. Maybe someone with greater knowledge can chime in. To me that seems logical as you need some sort of spring pressure holding the flap shut, but obviously you dont want too much as your are reducing the actuator travel by doing so. I can't think of any reason why having more than, or less than -2mm would be beneficial.

• Like 1

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 10m 17d

2-3mm is the norm but Turbosmart run less from memory. If off the car I'd set at that then check operation at full stroke with compressed air. Make sure it tracks correctly, as in geometry is correct, if you've changed the bracket or combo. Sometimes the arm needs an offset to get it spot on.

• Like 3