F6 Tacho Needle Slightly "moving/shaking"

timmyb9

• Member For: 9y 6m 29d

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so be nice :)

I just bought an 2010 F6 Auto with 45,000 kms on it. Completely stock. I bought from a dealer so I do have 2 months warranty left, it's just that they are a good 45 minutes drive from me, so I thought I'd pose the question here first.

Problem is: (probably been happening since I got it, just haven't noticed)

When driving around at say 60 or 80 kmh I notice the tacho needle "shaking" when I'm trying to hold a steady speed. Now by shaking Im talking about tiny movement (I really have to stare closely at it to notice) probably moving 50 rpm or thereabouts.

Just wandering whether you guys think it could be a miss or just a tacho fault?

Giving the car heaps up hills (trying to put load on it) it just powers away with no hesitation at all. Which makes me think its not a miss, but please advice? Does anyone else have this trouble?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 3d

Its a auto they tend to shake a bit, imagine at cruise the hyd pressure in the convertor / box loading / unloading why the eng does its thing to maintain speed

Oh okay excellent. Thanks for the responses guys. Really appreciate it.

In terms of getting it data logged, where would I get this done? Obviously its a diagnostic thing, so most mechanics would have one compatible with the f6?

Thanks again,

Tim

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 23d

An xcal or an obd reader. I've got both but that doesn't help you. Going to a sparky will start to cost though. See if you can find a friendly forum member that can spend a half hour with you. If the rest of the car is working well & there are no codes then I probably wouldn't go looking too hard for something that isn't there right now. Only other thing is potentially a bad earth

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 15d

G'day Tim

I had the same problem with my bf but mine was bouncing about 100 to 200rpm, worse when it was cold.Had Pitlane service and fit a pwr heat exchanger and the problems gone. Troy

G'day Tim

I had the same problem with my bf but mine was bouncing about 100 to 200rpm, worse when it was cold.Had Pitlane service and fit a pwr heat exchanger and the problems gone. Troy

Hey Tronxr6,

Do you mean a transmission cooler? I'm just unfamiliar with heat exchangers.

Thanks again

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 15d

G'day Tim,

The problem with the heat exchangers they are a bit hit and miss. My car is a 2005 and still had the original one, its a small cost compared to $4500 for a rebuild. I also fitted a earls turbo oil feed line for the same reason. Troy

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m

How fast is it shaking? Get a passenger to video it and chuck it up. I was imagining a rapid vibration, not a 100RPM yo-yo like I used to have (and still have if stone cold).