Buying 2011 Xr6T - Should I Get Extended 3Yr Warranty

timdb

• Member For: 9y 6m 23d

About to buy a 2011 XR6T with 35K on the clock.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Ford-Falcon-2011/AGC-AD-16586413/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1#carfacts-container

Am getting an independent vehicle inspection but wondering whether I should take the $1800 3 yr extension to the new car warranty as well. Obviously this is a judgement call but was hoping people could give me any information to help me make the decision. My experience in electronics is these extended warranties are usually money wasted but not sure on the car. Are there things the independent vehicle inspection won't pick up. Obviously as a performance car my main concern is that it's been driven (too) hard and thinking in this case maybe the warranty will protect me (although one question I've had is I bet the warranty doesn't cover me if damage is due to extreme driving)

Thanks all. Can't wait till I get my hands on it!

Tim

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 28d

If the car still under new car warrenty than get a genuine Ford extended manufacturer warranty through a Ford dealer.

If you plan on keeping it stock, extending the new car warranty is a good idea.

If this is a 3rd party warranty than I'd look very closely at what it actually covers you for.

Edited by XtRmn8

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 14d

Hi mate,

I had a few things done under warranty on my F6 - Namely the timing cover and the rear diff bush. That alone cost $2,200 rrp... (It had only done about 40k as well I think)

If you're gonna keep it stock and keep it within the warranty regulations, I'd definitely consider it.

I've never been a big fan of extended warranties but it's pretty much a given that you'll need to do the bushes (and possibly the timing cover)

Good luck mate,

Dan

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 25d

3rd party warranty will cost you a lot more than it is worth

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 14d

^ Agreed - Make sure that the warranty covers as much of/all of what is involved with a factory warranty. Some 3rd's are horrid...

Also consider the cost if the Trans decides to 'milkshake' itself... That is worth the price of a good warranty alone IMO.

Cheers,

Dan

• Member For: 13y 8m 6d

Have to agree with some of the other comments.

Check what it covers very carefully. Some or a limit on each component like max of $1,000 on transmission, or $500 on the cooling system.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m

I've got the my ford extended warranty, which covers the car up to 200,000KMS and another 3 years, paid around $1,900 for it.

It's a proper Ford warranty registered with Ford head office.

Doing your diff bushes a couple of times will end up costing a couple of grand, let alone if your turbo goes, or you cop the ZF milkshake.

If you get the proper Myford extended warranty, you shouldn't have a problem with making any type of claim.

Your car has low KMS which means it's likely going to get any potential problems during your ownership, as you start clocking up the KMS.

You need to get the genuine Ford one, as the others are full of conditions and pitfalls.

• Like 2

• Member For: 9y 6m 23d

Thanks everyone - very helpful info. Will email the workshop now and get them to send me the warranty - hopefully it's a Ford one but don't think so as they have their own warranty program. Was speaking to a mate last night who runs a hire car company and deals with the place that sold it regularly. Told me they've got a good rep. Feeling pretty confident about the deal. Roll on Tuesday afternoon!

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 19d

Read the fine print too - some of the 3rd party warranties require stupid stuff - like getting your car serviced every XXXX amount of klms or time, it needs to be conducted at XXXX, you must stand on one foot while its getting serviced etc etc

• Like 1