Photo Essay: Replacing The Windscreen Washer Pump

PhilMeUp

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

I was recently fixing up a crash-damaged XR6 Turbo ute, and one of the things that I had to sort out before registration was the non-functioning windscreen water jets.

I borrowed a water pump from another car, fitted it to mine and confirmed that the original pump was finished.

The water pump sits at the bottom of the windscreen washer bottle, which is tucked in behind the front bumper on the passenger side of the car. It is accessed through the wheel arch.

Plastic scrivets are used to hold the plastic wheel arch splash guard in place. This particular car also has a conventional metal screw there as well. Remove these so that the plastic shield can be pulled away.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_01_25_9_2014.jpg

Scrivets are often difficult to remove. If you’re lucky then they’ll unscrew like a normal screw does. However, they often don’t, which means trying various techniques to remove them. They are a B1 6mm scrivet. If removing them is too difficult then you could always just drill them out and put new ones in afterward.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_02_25_9_2014.jpg

Once the scrivets are removed then the plastic shield can be pulled back to access the water pump.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_03_25_9_2014.jpg

Be ready for water to gush out once you pull the pump out.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_04_25_9_2014.jpg

The water pump.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_05_25_9_2014.jpg

Push in the plastic side to unclip the plug.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_06_25_9_2014.jpg

The utes and sedans have one pump. The wagons have two - the second one is for the back window. Both pumps are identical.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_07_25_9_2014.jpg

I bought this from Repco for $20. The same model of pump has been used on Falcons for many years, so will be easily found at most car accessory shops.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_08_25_9_2014.jpg

The package contains a new pump and rubber grommet.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_09_25_9_2014.jpg

You can see the hole in the bottom of the windscreen washer reservoir once the pump has been removed.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_10_25_9_2014.jpg

Before fitting the new pump, push the rubber grommet into place.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_11_25_9_2014.jpg

Connect the power cable and water hose to the new pump.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_12_25_9_2014.jpg

Then push the new pump into place. Re-fit the plastic scrivets and put some water into the reservoir tank to test the new pump.

Windcreen_Washer_Pump_13_25_9_2014.jpg

• Like 3

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 22d

U don't even have to wait that long to help someone out! Its been on my "to fix" list for a while now so this'll make it a 10min job!

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...