Tr6060 2Nd Gear Grind

.Stripes.

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

I appreciate that these boxes can be a bit notchy, especially the 1st to 2nd gear change, but has anyone with these boxes experienced 2nd gear grinding? It happened maybe once or twice in my FG XR6T and was me being lazy with the clutch, but it's happened in my GT much more frequently when I'm giving it a good boot full and shifting hard 1st to 2nd. It's not as a result of me being lazy with the clutch either, as I've made a conscious effort to make sure the clutch is pressed in fully...if it was in any further it'd be through the firewall.

It's been more pronounced since having a Rip Shifter fitted, but I'm told by the shop who installed the Rip shifter that it was setup correctly with the positive stops as if they weren't it would pop out of gear etc. I also had a mate drive my car to see if it was just me and same thing happened to him twice in a short drive, the car was nice and warm too so it's not just a symptom of being cold. Is this just normal for these gearboxes, or does it sound like there's something wrong? My turbo I could be mid drift at the top of first gear and slam 2nd hard without any issues or grinding, but I'm somewhat nervous about doing the same with the GT...which is disconcerting.

I've also noticed that with this car once I've let the clutch out after a gear change there's a tiny bit of play in the clutch, in that I can flick it out a tiny bit further than it releases on its own by lifting my toes up underneath the pedal. It also feels a little loose at which point and creaks a little, which I'd expect with an older model, but not a brand new car with 5,000kms on it. This is my first twin plate clutch, so is this normal? Or should it pop all the way out by itself and have no more movement at which point?

• Member For: 12y 1m 19d

My box is the same. Have been told its completely normal by ford engineer. Tolerances vary from box to box, but I'd definitely be looking at changing the oil to something different or checking its capacity. It really disheartens me also, as its not spot on where I'd like it to be. I'll be experimenting with the above once I get the diff sorted and some E85 in the tank!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 6d

I'm here!!!!! Yeah mine and alot of people are in same boat... Have changed oil 3 times now and still same thing... Guy who works next door to me bought a fg Mk 2 T brandnew with 8ks on clock... Same FARKING thing..

Fird will say it's normal no matter what you say... Mine has been back 4 times now..when it's like 2deg in morning it's at its worst.. Once warm can still feel it grinding ever so lightly..

I take off and change into second ASAP or drop it from 1st to neutral then to second.., I don't boot my car anymore because of the problem..

This will be my last Ford ever after this due to Ford just brushing it off, they will just keep changing the oil and say.... Within tolerance!

Edited by Pazzo

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

Hmmm, thanks Pazzo...that's pretty poor on Ford's part really! Mine only ever does it if you're really botting, I.e. full throttle changing 1st to 2nd. I might give Mal Wood a buzz today and get his thoughts on it.

• Member For: 9y 10m 26d

I think it comes down to the fact that Ford have quiet a big ratio gap between 1st and 2nd compared to other tremec users.

If you try and shift to fast then it doesn't give 2nd gear time to match the speed of 1st.

Having triple syncros might make shifting easier but it also means more time for them to all line up so the shifting ring will slide over the syncros and onto the gear.

Know this might sound obscene in this day and age but have you guys tried double clutching and heel toe to match revs.

It's hard and takes practice but its worth giving it a go.

Edited by "Captain Retard"

• Member For: 16y 11m 3d

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

I have been using this stuff in all my cars for many years...

My BA MK2 Turbo 6 Speed " loves " the stuff... I also use it in my Diffs.

Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment Nulon G70

Nulon Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment with PTFE offers maximum lubrication and anti-wear protection to the gear and bearing surfaces of all types of gears (helical, spur and worm drive). Nulon G70 combines a balanced blend of Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) with other extreme pressure and anti-corrosion compounds. Nulon G70 is suitable for use with all synchromesh rings and limited slip differentials.

The PTFE particles in Nulon G70 range from .4 to 40 microns. The smaller particles, when subjected to pressure and temperature, impregnate the friction surfaces thus reducing friction and offering residual lubrication and corrosion resistance even during lay-up periods. The larger PTFE particles circulate with the normal gear lubricant and create a cushion between gear surfaces, dramatically reducing gear pitting. This cushioning effect is important in that it reduces noise caused by minor irregularities of mating surfaces which are responsible for the very common "period noise" experienced in differentials.

Many modern gearboxes suffer from poor gear shifting when the gearbox is cold. As a result a number of manufacturers are recommending a lighter grade of oil, and in some cases automatic transmission fluid. These lighter grade oils provide superior gear changing at the expense of reduced life of gears and bearings, because the lower viscosity oil does not have the degree of EP (extreme pressure) protection. Nulon G70, due to its EP characteristics, will greatly improve protection as well as dramatically improve gear changes.

Note: G70 is suitable for all gearboxes including passenger cars, trucks and industrial gearboxes.

G70 is also compatible with, and suitable for use with, automatic transmission fluid and engine oils, where they are the manufacturer's recommended lubricant for manual gearboxes.

http://www.nulon.com...t/#.U3qKJdL6uz4