First Track Day... Still Grinning

MattLacey

• Member For: 12y 6m 29d

So had my FG on the track for the first time on Sunday, and holy hell... even after 3 years of driving it on the road I wasn't really prepared for just how hard it could go. The brakes definitely took a beating and now need replacing, but it was totally worth it.

Had my winter wheels on with cheap tyres so corners weren't as good as they could be, plenty of squealing and sliding going on, but it was seriously good fun. Had a Toyota 86 behind me for a few laps, he'd be right on my butt out of the corners but then would all but vanish in the mirror on the straights. Was topping out around 205kmh on the main straight, passed a Boxter going up it at one point which made me smile.

Average fuel economy for the day was 31l/100km... was quite surprised to see quarter of a tank disappear in 20 minutes. Now I definitely want to go again but feel that some improved brakes and something to help with the body roll wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 7m 19d

Yep! If you can afford to go straight to the brembos if you can. It's night and day. But obviously that usually means a wheel change to fit them. Best thing I've done yet, brakes and light wheels.

Seems a few of us are getting hooked on this. It's not a cheap hobby but it sure is fun!

• Member For: 12y 6m 29d

^^ this guy knows.......lol.

its great fun but our cars do take a hiding.

any vid from the day?

No video, meant to get an old phone setup and riding in the windscreen but as a first timer I was being super wary about them saying they didn't want any lap timing etc, next time I'll have video and hopefully overlayed info from my bluetooth ODBII dongle :)

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 21d

Excellent to see another Turbo Taxi out there on the circuit!

I've been tracking mine for many years now and still having a lot of fun. Learning as I go.

Before your next day, get the brake fluid checked/bled/changed. Sounds like it's fried.

A heavier/solid sway bar at the front will help with body roll too.

A cheap set of 2nd hand semi slicks are the wisest way to have even more fun and leave just about every Toyota 86 and Boxter a long way back in the mirrors.

So had my FG on the track for the first time on Sunday, and holy hell... even after 3 years of driving it on the road I wasn't really prepared for just how hard it could go. The brakes definitely took a beating and now need replacing, but it was totally worth it.

Had my winter wheels on with cheap tyres so corners weren't as good as they could be, plenty of squealing and sliding going on, but it was seriously good fun. Had a Toyota 86 behind me for a few laps, he'd be right on my butt out of the corners but then would all but vanish in the mirror on the straights. Was topping out around 205kmh on the main straight, passed a Boxter going up it at one point which made me smile.

Average fuel economy for the day was 31l/100km... was quite surprised to see quarter of a tank disappear in 20 minutes. Now I definitely want to go again but feel that some improved brakes and something to help with the body roll wouldn't go amiss.