Replacing Brakes... How Hard

MattLacey

• Member For: 12y 7m 2d

So I had my 2009 FG serviced last week (105k capped price) and they said the brakes were good for at least another 15,000 km. THEN I took to the car to Sandown for the day on Sunday, and I'm pretty sure I used up 90% of that in 100km.... hard braking from 200kmh to 100kmh repeatedly definitely took it's toll!

I've not had the wheels off yet to check the damage (running my winter Territory steel wheels so can't see anything) but given it's up to 104k km I'm assuming it's going to need rotors and pads on the front. I'm not too concerned about the back as it's definitely the front that would have done the work on the track with the amount of weight transfer going on.

So I've seen a few people say these are good: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DBA4504S-T3-4000-Series-Front-Slotted-Rotors-x-2-to-Ford-Falcon-BA-BF-FG-298mm-/321009726797?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abdabb54d

What pads are suitable for regular spirited driving and potentially another track day? Also, how easy are these things to fit? I've done pads way in the past on a different but it was so long ago I barely remember doing it. I'm guessing rotors are a few bolts ?

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 8m 14d

you need the 322mm ones. 298mm are ba bf. I got the cheaper rda ones not a fan but I didnt really bed em in. oh well.

or if the budget is around $2250 xyz 6pot ebay. fit under factory 18/19" wheels to.

• Member For: 10y 4m 30d

Apparently, warping of the rears is most prominent through the pedal and warped fronts is felt through the steering. I currently have both and haven't made a decision as to rotors and pads yet. Ill probably end up going DBA T3's but am keen to try something else as they cant be the only decent rotors on the market. Was looking at the ebc Vmax rotors but haven't found any real feedback or reviews to make a decision on. Good or bad. Was going to give the ebc red stuff pads a whirl though. If I dont like them will just go bendix srt's, pricey but worth it apparently.

Like you im not expecting a great deal extra performance from the stock setup, just want them to be able to take a hiding...more than once.

Doing your own rotors and pads is easy enough but there is a right way and a wrong way. Taking the time to wire brush mating surfaces(the face of the hub/stub axle thing) and checking runout is critical. Just slapping them on and hoping for the best can lead to stuffed rotors within a few thousand km. Which of course felt fine at the time of installation so naturally quality of the rotor is blamed. Also ensure all wheel bearings and bushes are in good condition before even doing the brakes. This too will also lead to stuffed rotors in a few thousand km.

Edited by barnz
  • Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d

I'm eyeing off the shockworks calliper and floating rotor setup for when it's time for me to change rotors.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 3m 28d

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DBA42107S-DBA-T3-Front-Slotted-Rotors-x-2-Ford-Falcon-FG-XR6-Turbo-G6E-XR8-V8-/321134260194?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac517efe2&_uhb=1

You want the 322mm ones.

Also, if you're gonna get them discount code is: VPPVIP. Dunno if it still work but it should.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 11d

DBA t3s up front have lasted me 2 yrs and about 4 or 5 track days with just one machining.

Ebc reds are no good for track, I destroyed them on a track where the top speed is 170, so if your doing 200 at sandown stay away the redstuffs. Go ebc blues, qfm a1rm (bit harder on rotors and a less bite but still really good), ferrodo Ds performance or 2500s to name a few.

Doing brakes is easy just take it time, read up and watch some YouTube videos, Eric the car guy is pretty funny but pretty good videos. Actually doing rotors and pads this weekend on a mates car, then my car the following weekend.

• Member For: 12y 7m 2d

Thanks for all the advice guys, time to start shopping around I guess! Any ideas if the T3's will fit inside Territory 17" steelies? I use those in the winter so I can put snowchains on the car!