Tune For Racing ?

FPVF6355

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 7m 2d

The less amount of coolant in the system, the cooler it will run, but the lower the boiling point also.

Water with Redlines 'water wetter' is the go.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 8d

Nobody would run 100% I was just adding it in...

Sometimes straight water is no good for a modern engines cooling system

Water/glycol mixture is more viscous (thicker) and your waterpump is designed to pump this thicker mixture around...

Water would pump around faster and actually spend less time in the engine/radiator and lose it's efficiency as well

I know this would be a very small difference,

but as butt plug always says, the ford engineers spent millions working this stuff out, hence ford recommending 33% coolant/water ratio

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

And exactly what we/I use and installed ;)

Leave the technical stuff to those paid to find out

But for a pure race/temp situation water with a "wetter" is brilliant

But I think 1% of us would ever find the benefit

Edited by Butt Plug

• Member For: 13y 2m 10d

just to update where I'm at with it.

The car is manual

I had some time to do some work on the car.

Yes the oil is fried, 10w 60 penrite 1 week old.

Also every exhaust and turbo bolt is loose after the track day, and blown out most gaskets (most of my issue on the day, I think)

I had the turbo off and had a real good look at how the heat sheilds work (sh*te) If the turbo (big lump of cast iron is basicly running red hot, radiant heat is blasting at the middle of the head and compressor side of turbo) both made of great heat sink materials, transfering all that heat into the air passing through.

So I got some ss lock nuts a new gasket set, and thermal wrap for the turbo, headers and dump., and a new genuine ford o2 sensor.

I have digital readout in the car for the IC in and out, part of the IC temp controller 45psi pump and atomisers. on the track it reached 45deg at WOT until end of straights, then dropped to high 20's by end of first corners (works really well)

After I fit the thermal wrap it will be interesting to see how much the engine temps and IC temps change ?? If I'm right about the open fire place (turbo) cooking the head and compressor, this should make a big difference.

I'll get a new tune next week or 2 on e85, see how it goes.

I watched a tuner and noticed he let the cars cool before re-runs. I'll make sure the tuner gets it nice and hot to be sure it's actually tuned to do more than race off at the traffic lights.

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 2m 10d

Good stuff! If your doing all that an oil cooler is cheap insurance

agreed.

I also noticed FG's have bigger oil and coolant lines going to the turbo. Might be worth getting FG piping from a wrecker.

A bugatti veyron has 10 radiators, not sure where I could fit another 9 on a ford :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 8d

Behind the fog light I think is the only place you could fit an oil cooler...

FG F6's have an oil cooler just above the filter as well... Water/oil style same as the auto trans