Places To Visit In Tasmania?

discostig

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Just remember -

Reducing radius corners

We've never seen them on our roads - they're not unusual over there.

Just because the entry looks easy, doesn't mean the exit will be.

If they say "45" - take it at 45 instead of 90

• Filthy weeb
  • Member For: 11y 1m 12d

+1 for Tassie being a lovely tourist place. Would like to retire there (if I live that long).

One abiding memory was the amount of roadkill on the side of the road when taking more rural trails - don't think you've properly driven around that place without killing something with your vehicle.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

^^

Crows (or whatever those black ones are)

They must breed them stupid over there.

Look at a crow wrong over here and it's off and they definitely don't get hit by cars.

Over there they seem to be dead from stupidity as much as they are alive

• Member For: 9y 10m 26d

Hmmmm , I'm doing a lap of Tassie in Febuary but it'll be on a bike with other mates.

Don't know if we'll be doing much touristy stuff, it sounds like it's going to be one long pub crawl,LOL!

Glad about the corner speed warning but a little worried about the wildlife.

Oh well it's all part of the fun!

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

You'll have a ball. Am sure the engineers who designed the roads were riders ;)

Just make sure you pack puncture repair kits and have decent rubber before you set off.

Some stretches you can put in 5 hours riding, only to find at the end of the day you've only covered a couple of hundred k's

Shouldn't be an issue with wildlife - even the roo's are mini versions of what we get here :P

Only time I was worried on the bike about wildlife was when following one of the beehive collection trucks - very angry bees

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Yeah hoping I don't hit a wombat hey.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Also whilst on the topic of car hire...for hiring it over Dec 24th to Dec 31st, exactly 7 days in fact (2pm pick up/drop offs), the cheapest I could get was like $500. The G6 will be $900. Is that a normal rate for xmas period airport depot hiring? $128 a day for a G6? That includes things like "premium location fee" etc.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

The strahan run is awesome. I had a VE equivalent V8 statesman ( white) hire car. By the time I was at Strahan the whole side of the car was BLACK. I caned the shti out of it.

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 9y 6m 2d

Hi.
Im in Tassie.
If your going from Hobart and heading to Devonport/Burnie/North West coast, go through the central highlands. Absolutely brilliant drive.
I did it a couple of weekends ago for the first time and I couldn't believe it. It really shows the contrast Tasmania has to offer. And you get to see a big ass lake that is in the middle of no where. As others say, do the west coast. Honestly I'd say do every road you can except the Main run from Launie to Hobart (midland highway), because that is boring as all hell. (could be because I've done it more than enough times but still, avoid it unless you want to see how well our state government spends their money on roads..)
East coast is gorgeous too.
From Launie to Hobart go the east coast on the way down at least.
Like others have said, every corner of Tassie is different to the next.
Oh and I'd say if you can afford the G6 its gonna be worth it. Plenty of highways means fuel wont be too bad but some roads you cant help but push it and you'll be disappointed if you get a car that you cant have a bit of fun in.

And like one of the other guys said, with some corners, if it recommends dropping 50% of your speed and you've never driven the road its worth doing but if it only tells you to drop like 15kms you may as well just speed up.

and yes road kill is pretty full on...went for an hour long drive one night...3 possums and a rabbit and yes I tried to avoid them all.

• Like 1