Xr6 Turbo For P-Plater <Merged Topic>

jEtONiT

• Member For: 15y 7m 29d

Get the NA and do a few little bits to make it your own - exhaust, drop it and chuck on some rims. Wont cost you a fortune and its insurance friendly. And dont spend stupid amounts of money on this one if you want a turbo later.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 5d

Guys, lets keep the personal attacks out of this forum.

The OP is keen to get into a Falcon and good on him.

As I mentioned you need to LEARN to drive first. Just because you have your P's does not make you a good driver.

A NA Falcon is still a killing machine. Being RWD it can easily get into a slide that you need to know how to fix and also learn how to avoid one in the first place.

My first car was a datsun 180B and I did stupid things, but it was slow and forgiving, so I am still here to write this. If I had bought a 190KW NA falcon as my first car (if they were around) it would have been a different story. Get the Impreza RS as they are AWD and far more controllable and forgiving. It will also hold its value so in a few years you can trade it in for a Turbo.

Do not be so quick to modify the power as well as it is a slippery slope that can cost a lot of money.

A smart person once said that we start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of skill when we first drive a car, just hope the bag of luck does not run out before the bag of skill is full. This is what all drivers need to remember.

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 30d

Im all for modifying his new N/A. My list would be brakes, suspension and tyres. And the other suggestion of getting a 10tonne 4wd in place of his present idea is ridiculous.

Also, when you modify a non-prohibited vehicle in terms of increasing its power you create a prohibited vehicle.

I.B.

Edited by Iconic Bionic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 28d

URO-J3T,

Mate, seriously.... Grab a NA xr6 if your really into the car style.

A turbo is great, but at the end of the day.... it's not a learner's vehicle.

Get some experience on the road. Trust me and everyone on this forum, you will have issues.... it's just a matter of time.

It's always nice to have something to look forward to in life... make that your xr6t... when your off your P's.

You will appreciate it so much more.

I'm 31 now... I started off with a 1974 Corona MKII.... It was great fun. I went onto an 1996 EF falcon. Ran like clockwork.

I'm finally driving a xr6t.... but, I'd never be able to drive it without the time I spent driving a lower powered machine.

We'd all love to be driving a supercar... but the fact is.... we can't, and wouldn't be able to.

Seriously, the old saying.... learn to crawl before you walk, rings true.

Buy an old car and get some time on the road. Once your comfortable with driving and have 'sussed' the road and the traffic.... then think of upgrading. Not necessarily to a turbo, but to a larger car.

I think the above guys have all been in a similar place in their lives. Take their advice and just chill. Your young and have heaps of time to have fun in high powered cars.

My 2 cents....

Edited by Mort

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6d

Geez some of you guys must have forgotten what it was like to have your first car. I'm sure the majority of you had high speed (for the era!) death traps of some sort...

End of the day, if your a tool you will kill yourself no matter what you drive. Hitting a tree at 100kms in anything will probably end up in the same outcome.

FWIW, my first car was a WRX (and a pretty quick one at that) much to my parent's horro. To combat that, my old man guided me into a few track days and proper performance driver training that I'd never bother doing in a slow car. I'd like to think im a decent driver as a result of that car. If you work hard to earn and respect your possesions, there's every chance in the world you wont ruin them.

However, since its a legal issue, its really not worth it.

Can I also suggest not modding a slow car as that is really a WOFTAM

Edited by Mat

• Member For: 15y 3m 19d

How about insurance. You P platers who have said you've drive XR6Ts couldn't possibly of had insurance because of the cost, if you did it probably wasn't valid anyway. It's alarming how many young performance car enthusiasts have insurance, which is invalid or simply no insurance at all. Really a dumb move. Having an accident with an expensive car will see you in debt for the best part of your life.... thinking required with head not ego. Plenty of time to have fast cars when your older and wiser without learning the hard way how stupid and expensive poor decision making can be.

Edited by -MARTY54-

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 11d

I know you will look mega cool in front of your mates but really just get a car you can learn in because bets are you will crash or have a minor incident, we all have. Plus you will have the issue of cops and insurance to worry about. Get the NA XR6 they are more than powerful enough and cheap as well.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

I wouldn't even bother with and XR, XT's can look pretty good with a little bit of cash thrown at them. Plus you will also have more cash to throw at your T when you get it and draw less attention from the jacks.

To drag up an old favorite

img0852x.jpg