Photo Essay - Ba/bf Front Bearing Hub Replacement

PhilMeUp

• Member For: 6y 3m 13d

Gidday Phil. 

My '05 BA has been making a terrible noise for a week or two now and some trouble shooting and a warrant check by a mechanic led me to believe it was the front left wheel bearing. 

Thanks for the write up, photos and instructions. 

Got me through replacing my first wheel hub assembly nicely. 

Unfortunately the same exact noise is coming from the front left side of the car at both low and high speeds after replacing it.

Could you offer any advice to a novice as to what the issue may be now that I've eliminated the wheel bearing? 

The mechanic said both my lower ball joints need replacing ( which I'm looking into ) but they wouldn't be responsible for the noise. 

Any advice or assistance would be a real help. 

Thanks again.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

whenever you replace one side of the wheel bearings, you replace both sides, as if you replace just one, then the new one will be less worn than the originally non-replaced one and it'll speed up the degradation of the bad one, which can then lead to the potentially fast degradation of the new one.

If you turn left and the noise increases, it'll be the right wheel-bearing vice-versa.

• Member For: 6y 3m 13d

Update: Put the new Bearing in, this one took 40 mins as opposed to the hour 15 that the first one took. Was in worse condition than the left hand side.

Thanks again to Keith for the advice. 

Now onto getting the ball joints replaced.

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 6y 5d

Appreciate the attention to detail here.

McInerny Ford in Perth, quoted $155 for each bearing and an hour each to fit at $150/hr. so bill would be $600.

Ebay prices for bearings suggest around $70 to $90  for a pair, plus free shipping if you can wait a couple of weeks, else $60 shipping. Total $150, if you can use a long handle lever with a 36mm socket. That $450 if you can do it yourself and itll take probably less time than driving over and picking up the car afterwards.

I wonder what I should do? :ermm:  https://www.totaltools.com.au/36mm-1-2-socket for $22. :mosking: