Clunking In Reverse

danzzxr6t

• Member For: 15y 9m 3d

I bought a crash-damaged BA XR6 Turbo ute a few weeks ago that was also clunking when reversing.

Some searching on here and other Falcon forums indicated that the common cause was the u-bolt nuts being too loose. Quite common, apparently.

Ford's recommendation is to do them up to a tightness of 45Nm.

However, with my ute, the cause was a bent axle. Not an easy thing to find, but I got lucky and found one at a performance diff place (ie a good place to start if your axle is bent).

Some bent axles can be straightened. Mine was well and truly stuffed.

Check the u-bolt nuts first. To check the axle, I'm guessing that you would need to jack up the back of the car, remove the wheels, disc rotors and calipers, and see if the axle plate wobbles when it turns (ie start the car and have the engine turn the axles over).

Or, remove the axle and use a lathe to rotate and check it (safer, but more hassle to set up).

With replacing the axle, I used my hydraulic press to push out the wheel studs on the old axle and to push them in on the replacement one. A bit of stuffing around.

When putting the new bearings on a replacement axle, take the time to make sure that you've got everything in the correct order (ABS disc, seal, bearing around the correct way and then the collar).

Edit: Turns out that I've already posted a thread about replacing rear axle bearings. Plenty of photos, etc.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/88405-photo-essay-babf-ute-wagon-rear-axle-bearing-replacement

Edited by PhilMeUp