1966 Mustang With Fg Xr6 Turbo Engine And Zf Auto

• Member For: 10y 11m 25d

Hi all,

I am now about 75% through my project of fitting late model running gear into a 1966 Mustang Coupe.

Engine: Ford Barra 270t

Gearbox: ZF 6 speed

To share my progress along the way I have built a website to capture it all. It will be updated as the project continues. If anyone has questions I am happy to answer them. Hopefully the site will give some inspiration to others trying a conversion a little bit different or with the Fg setup.

Engine and gearbox mounts are now complete so have a look.

Site is www.boostedford.com

Edited by crikeyrob
  • Like 3

• Member For: 12y 4m 6d

Well, you are not mucking around with this, that is for sure. It will be an interesting swap over the usual 289 - 347 Windsor that goes into these. I would be idley curious as to the combined weight of the windsor ( with the usual alloy head upgrades etc ) and its trusty companion, the c4, versus the barra 6 and the ZF. Thinking aloud, power and torque wise the Barra will be ahead. The modified Windsor is no slouch but it might have to lower its colours in this contest.

Hope it goes smoothly for you.

• PC LOAD LETTER
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 2d

Wow mate ! I had a look at the site with all the work that has been done so far and it looks fantastic ! Can't wait to this completed and work :)

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 11m 25d

Looks good mate, is the hall effect sensor on the back of the box the only extra thing you will have to do to get the ZF working?

The FG wiring loom was modified to be a stand alone setup by killa kustom kables. This included all wires to go to gearbox and electronic accelerator. Steve who did the work said that all I needed to do to get the gearbox to work was to use the Hall effect sensor he supplied. This would tell the ECU what speed the car was travelling and then the gearbox can work out the shifting points from there. It also needed an 8 tooth trigger wheel attached to the diff or gearbox output for the sensor to read.

The ECU also needs to be flashed and recalibrated to suit the sensor. Bullet Performance Racing did this for me.

I will use the same shifter in the car, but it will be stripped back and incorporated into a custom centre console.

So just the sensor, trigger wheel, calibration and shifter.

Hope this helps.

Rob

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 15d

That'll be really punchy

Nizpro I've heard good things about.

Pitlane (ratter) I've always heard great things about if your down in vic

• Like 1