Peppy's Build Thread

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

Ahh I think the day has come!! last night I noticed a "whirr" coming from the front/mid section of the car, sort of like if the power steering pump is low on oil, checked it out, that was fine, and just left it at that..

This morning going to work the noise had multiplied greatly, this started to worry me, no knocks, bangs, ticks, just a "whirr" it follows the rpm and it is more predominant under load in gear. Not so much in neutral... I thought the box might be low on fluid, so checked that this afternoon as per ZF's guide, the level was fine and I didn't notice any metal in the little fuild that trickled out... So what exactly could it be? Input shaft? Pump? Converter?

Actually it's more when it changes gears, like you can hear the solenoids/clutches slowly engaging the next gear... Very strange

Yea I think so Matty, it's starting to slip before it grabs any gears, so safe to say it's gone..

On a brighter note, I think it's time to take the engine out to freshen up and decide on some cams!!

Unfortunatly it will be a few moth process, but hopefully it will come out better then ever

• Like 1

I'm going to do some research, see what it can find out, I know it has been done before, just have to ask the right people the right questions I guess, but it will be a long and slow process

No. to be honest it hasn't felt healthy for a while, I'd feel better about putting it to the side for abit and doing everything properly

• Member For: 18y 3m 11d

Probabley clutches or clutch packs more so than anything else Peppy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bit if an update.. The engine and box are out of the car, I borrowed a mates hoist for the box which made it incredibly easy, then took the engine out once I made some room at home, it's all just sitting there for now until I have saved a sufficient amount to give it a big hit without having to stop mid way and risk any seals drying up or anything like that..

The plan is to max out my gtx3582, so around 500rwkw.. I'm still doing my research and I'm open to advice, but at this stage I'm looking at,

-Manley "H" beam Rods 7/16 arp bolts rated at 1000hp

-Manley Forged Pistons, smaller dish for 9.0:1 comp and bigger valve reliefs to suit oversize valves

-billet oil pump gears (spool?)

-girdle? Standard?

-cosmetic mls gasket, will decide a thickness once headwork and cam are selected

-I will port the head myself, they flow very well already but small gains are achievable in the right areas

-oversize valves

-cams will be decided once I know the head flow figures, I want to retain the VCT

-anti-pump up or solid lifters

-crow race springs

-FG intake manifold

-ceramic coating of the chambers, valves, piston tops, exhaust ports, (exhaust manifold, turbo housing and dump already done)

-all the usuals like head studs, main studs, king bearings

For the box Id just like it to handle the power for now, so a billet input shaft and excedy clutches seem to be all they need, as well as a healthy 3k stall, tce can modify one or Circle D make billet ones, not sure if I'm going to take it on myself or get a hand with it, we'll see.

I'm aiming to get it all ready for Sydney Powercruise so mid March all the bugs need to be sorted and ready to let loose =)..

Any helpful info is always welcome, thanks for reading, Joe

• Like 4