• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 1d

:oooh:

Yea I have made it to Powerplay... I'll do a write up after the event

What a Legend is all ive got to say

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 16d

Alrighty, it has been a very long couple of days!!! Wow haha, I'm over the moon with how everything has turned out

The last post before we got off topic was about how I got the motor and box in... Next was 2 nights worth of installing accessories, shafts, exhaust, etc.. That's all pretty straight forward

First start up went to plan.. Just a quick 10second start to circulate the fluid through the box so I could top it up some more, I just used a good known base file I had and threw in the injector data supplied.. Started it 2-3 times to fill the box up...

The motor purred like a kitten, zero noise and starts first click, so I'm cheering, only 2 issues were present, the new twin cats have sweet fark all clearance so there was a decent knock going on and I couldn't get the fuel pressure below 5 bar even though I upgraded every component in it, just retaining the KPM twin 460 module... Spoke to Dave, he suggested it needs the correct fuel regulator, even though I already installed a brand new Holley -10 reg I thought I'd seek something that flows even better, came across the magnaflow 2000hp bypass reg, surely this will be big enough, installed it and I still had the same issue, 5bar minimum.. So some diagnostics of my own, I.e disconnecting the return line and draining into a bucket I was able to get it to 3 bar if I wanted... So obviously there's a restriction somewhere further down the line, which only left the fuel module... Anyway, took it apart and basically there's a tiny hole at the bottom of the return, very similar to the situation with the factory fuel pot, this is the smallest part of the system...

9ccddca452b60dc7aa47398a261b9055.jpg

I'd say there is a reason for this, possibly to keep the pot full, I think it has been spoken about before... But I'm not too concerned about that for now, all I know is that hole is keeping my pressure up, you can't exactly make the hole bigger as the bottom is made from a plastic and it's fairly thin at that point, so I improvised and drilled another two holes the same size at the bottom...

482da7ac0585bb9d2231c73f50e8ca64.jpg

0dcf0a4f333e34743ccc4f27425316d0.jpg

Once it all went back together all was good again.. Finally I can command the correct fuel pressure.. I'm also happy to say that I have run the tank to about 1/4 and zero fuel surge present, with gate pressure being around 22psi, conservative timing and conservative fuel (e85), it should be into the 400+rwkw mark

The exhaust touching was the other issue, I just got some exhaust heat wrap, and a couple hose clamps wrapped around the cats... It touches a little when it's hot, but the wrap takes up most of the knock

Okay, box is full, fuel is right, everything's right, time to start running it in... The first 20 or so minutes are the most crucial as it beads in the piston rings, the correct ring seal helps make power, and keeps the blow by down.. This is best achieved by loading it up, get on the freeway in higher gears and alternate through the rev range, and engine breaking is good too, obviously only using a maximum of about 20-30% throttle.. Well this is dads theory anyway... So I did exactly that

79051b0f7856d0ca045a84eb0bb53d59.jpg

I did about 300km with that style driving, the first half throttle stab I gave it broke the tail shaft centre bearing causing a horrific vibration.. I got it on a mates hoyst because I wanted to check everything anyway.. Sourced a new bearing and changed it along with a uni-joint.. The billet shaft to Gbox coupling I bought wasn't what I thought and needs some revision! So put a Std one back on

d88a85bcc5ec47a54dfb830db24705f5.jpg

Throughout all this I've been running in the box, it shifts and grabs fine, just 2-3 shift is abit strange. Taking to jet I have a way to try and get it sorted, fingers crossed it's just the TCM that needs to re-learn it's adaptive memory

I dumped the run in oil and it came out clean, it has the general fine metal, but all seems good!

b1c2c674c0dbeebba7a2fd98930c25b5.jpg

eaf154e3b083b50febbb1bc9b068e64d.jpg

I made it to Powerplay, with about 600km on the clock, what a day that was!! I absolutely love it... You could say that It didn't have an easy day haha, but to be able to drive it to the track, enjoy the day and drive home without an issue at all is a big positive for me...

I have been told not the give it to it for the first 1000km of driving..... But it just felt to good to baby it lol..

Here's a 80km 2nd gear break boost then roll into 3-4 haha ahh what a feeling!!!

https://vimeo.com/128717152

I only went out for 3 or 4 cruise sessions with breaks in between,

33665743d74c69f566f22c582017aa35.jpg

90a138d9c0a1dc2a617961a1b8a62b53.jpg

This is what happens in 4th gear powerskids on a sticky track and a full car!!

11ea1355b8fb3ffa32b72db107acfea3.jpg

I can't wait to go through all the go pro footage and see of anyone got any pics...

I really love my car and it's not going to stop here.. I'll keep posting up my further modifications and progress of the car

I really appreciate everyone that has followed this thread and thanks for all the input

Joe

• Like 16

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

fantastic write up as usual :) glad you made it to powerplay :)

I did about 300km with that style driving, the first half throttle stab I gave it broke the tail shaft centre bearing causing a horrific vibration.. I got it on a mates hoyst because I wanted to check everything anyway.. Sourced a new bearing and changed it along with a uni-joint.. The billet shaft to Gbox coupling I bought wasn't what I thought and needs some revision! So put a Std one back on

d88a85bcc5ec47a54dfb830db24705f5.jpg

Good to finally see somebody try to use one of these couplings... they did seem a bit like pot luck whether they were good or not... turns out not :)

• Member For: 10y 11m 17d

just had a read of the thread ,,didn't realise u were on here ... saw your mate yesterday with a b series and gold simmons but didnt see ya .... glad the car made it and is going well.......... powerplay august?????????lol

Edited by 10SECN
  • Like 1