Manual Gearbox Oil Change

xr6newbie

• Member For: 10y 21d

Hi guys, just have a few questions regarding oil's as tomorrow im doing an oil change for

Diff and gearbox. Its at 110,000kms I have a very rattling clutch and some big clunks sometimes

when changing gears (all of which will dissapear at 2,000rpm+) and reading some posts has guided me

to do the oil change and pray it helps.

walking into supercheap I had in mind to purchase castrol transmax z - which they didnt have so after getting

the guy to look it up on the computer he said it recommended nulon multi vehicle fully synthetic automic fluid.

I was hoping to buy a manual fluid as ive read some people say the thicker oil helps with the rattling etc..

though I have time tomorrow to return this for something else pending I can find any other informtion also

you need about 4.8L so I would need to grab another 1L regardless but the shops 5 minutes away so no hassle..

I also purchased the nulon g70 g/box & diff treatment which ive read works wonders. I didnt however purchase diff oil

as I was looking castrol SAF-XA but they didnt have that either.

basically questions are to any manual owners who have had luck doing the change -

1. What oil has worked for you/recommend

2. Has any one used the nulon before and found it good

3. Is there any other diff oil people can recommend?

Regards~ ill post results after the change too.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

The oil you purchased will be fine.

For diff get castrol SAF-XA

To get the 4.8L in the best way is to jack up the passengers side and pump into the plug that says "do not remove"

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m

I wish I could be more help, a mate with a ss Expensive Daewoo with the T56 brought some oil (maybe redline could be something else) that was designed for the T56 specially. Could be the next good thing.

For the diff look for Syntrax 80w140 as I think that is SAF-XA since they renamed everything.

• Like 1

• Member For: 16y 11m 24d

Re, ...I was hoping to buy a manual fluid as I have read some people say the thicker oil helps with the rattling etc..

Do not put any manual fluid ( Gear Oil ) in to your Gear-Box !! It will stuff up the synchronizers !

From www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=110

Q: Why not use gear oil in one of your transmissions?

A: A hypoid gear oil by design does not allow mechanical surfaces to make contact with one another. A synchronizer relies on friction (much like your car's brakes) to do its job. Thus, gear oil in a synchronized transmission can be a bad combination, potentially causing a variety of shift quality issues. Furthermore, many gear oils contain sulfur additives that can damage friction materials.

For your Diff use:

85W-140 Limited Slip Differential Oil

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Gear_and_Differential_Oils/85W-140_Limited_Slip_Differential_Oil/

For enhanced anti-wear performance use Nulon G70 Manual Gearbox & Diff Treatment.

I have been using the stuff for many years with no problems at all. :)

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

Use castrol SAF-XA it has the additive already and is fully synthetic.

Yep SAF is the old stuff the new is as suggested above SYNTRAX 80W-140 it has the additive already

I use Tranzmax Z in my 6 speed

Edited by arronm

• Member For: 18y 3m 8d

Penrite pro gear 70-75w is real good stuff for the t-56 and tr6060, dont use transmax in a tr6060 it will stuff the synchros....the Expensive Daewoo boys have been clued on to the penrite for the tr6060 for awhile.

I have penrite in my tr6060 in my fg, and the rollover noise is much lower than on ATF, the box shifts great, just make sure that you fill it with 4.8litres through the reverse switch....heaps has been discussed on ford forums.....

• Member For: 16y 11m 24d

Q: Why not use a synthetic fluid?

A: Some brands of synthetic fluid contain powerful detergents and additives that can prove harmful to your transmission's synchronizers. While many synthetic fluids perform very well, in most cases, we do not recommend their use. Furthermore, they may void your warranty. For peace of mind, remember that TREMEC conducts all of its OEM validation testing using conventional fluids without issue.

http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=110#Q1

• Member For: 18y 3m 8d

Old transmax z was ok but according to mal wood the formula changed, yep penrite is synthetic but it is actually stated that it is safe to use in t-56, and it states it will not eat the glue that holds synchro or the other materials that they are composed of.....several guys on ford forums including myself have tried the penrite and its brilliant in our tr6060 fg's....

Mainlube is supposed to be really good but its quite exxy, although the long drain intervals of over 100k can make it equal to using penrite and dropping it every 30k....