• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

Journal bearing and ball bearing spool at similar rates. My 42 (journal bearing) made full boost of 18psi on 98 at around 3400rpm. So definitely laggier than the full boost 35 at 3k rpm, but holds ridiculous boost all the way to whatever red line you want on our 4L beasts. 

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
18 minutes ago, gaz097 said:

Now your talking keithy. What's it like to drive on gear changes? Can you actually maintain any boost on a gear change?

If you setup a spark cut on gear shift and/or a sequential shifter, sure... But stock T56, you lose most of the boost...  but because of the gearing it gets back to full boost within a small timeframe if you keep the boot into it. 

• Member For: 17y 11m
1 hour ago, k31th said:

Journal bearing and ball bearing spool at similar rates. My 42 (journal bearing) made full boost of 18psi on 98 at around 3400rpm. So definitely laggier than the full boost 35 at 3k rpm, but holds ridiculous boost all the way to whatever red line you want on our 4L beasts. 

Keith is pretty much on the money with the boost/rpm on the 42. I'm starting to see positive pressure at 2,200rpm with 20 psi at 3,300.  Keep in mind that we haven't played with the cam timing yet. So I'm sure that we can lower it some more.

The 42 pulls like a freight train to my 6,500 rpm limit (Will be 7k soon)  and still wants to keep going. The difference between a 42 and the 35, is that the 42 doesn't fall over in the top end...  I guarantee that you would LOVE a 42

Edited by HI PSI
  • Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I just went down to check... GT4294 (not a GT4294R as it's Journal Bearing, as mentioned earlier) with a v-band 0.6 front-housing and the rear housing I'm unsure of, but it's a genuine garrett marked v-band housing only marked with this ->

65jOPJi.jpg

judging by this link http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbocharger#GT4294(housing options tab) it could be either a 1.15 (the "2" shown in the pic) or a 1.28 (the "3" shown in the pic).

• Member For: 17y 11m
7 hours ago, gaz097 said:

What 42 are you running. There are like a million options. 4202, 4294, gt, Gtx, roller, bb. Then rear housing size. The list is endless

I am running a GTX 4202r on my rig, with a 1.01 split pulse rear housing.

Edited by HI PSI