• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 8d
Same shop

The tiny plug gap is obviously coving up a bigger issue. Not saying it's wrong but my whole car build there are better ways to do things.

Probably agree and it would make more overall power at a nice flat 20-22psi, and dial some timing back into it.

But what the point? Few kw? For many thousands of dollars??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

I was going to say go squash them to 0.50mm and see how it goes. I always used 0.60mm in the BA with 21psi and 0.70 in the 2008 F6X but only 18psi in the mid no issues.
Pretty sure your engine would be laughing at that boost anyway so I would be happy.

As for the oem spark system being no good over 25psi I've heard a different opinion from a well known tuner and he's never had an issue given all other items are good.
I won't mention his name for fear of the Internet blowing up though!

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

The problem lies in plug gap and lower the gap greater the chance of ignition under boost but for every other time during the combustion process we see a weak small spark that isn’t optimal for full combustion

Yes you can run 0.3mm and 28psi but it literally won’t idle correctly ( or at all without throttle ) and the balance of smooth idle vs outright psi is in around 0.7mm any lower effects are seen and any higher boost needs to be limited to around 23 psi on the basis that coils,plugs and clean voltage is already seen. Add in older coils, ageing B series wiring with less that perfect Ground connections and you’ll see and feel issues sooner. 

Drive a vehicle fitted with 0.9mm plugs and a voltage booster after 5psi and you’ll know why we boost the system as you really do get everything in the package of daily driver and big PSI boost targets ! 

Some punters also can’t tell the difference between a idle on 0.5mm and 1.3mm plugs 😂 

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Bollocks. If you have to gap your plugs under 0.7mm you have other issues that need addressing.

All this talk of 0.45mm and 0.3mm is completely unrealistic. 

Edited by Puffwagon
Just cos
  • Like 1