Sticky Throttle Hung Open (Scary!)

• Member For: 17y 11m 3d

Wife was just accelerating to overtake a car and when she lifted off the throttle it hung open. She jumped on the brakes and they were barely enough to stop it as it tried to accelerate at the same rate before she lifted.

Problem presented like a stuck throttle butterfly but before I go pulling the thing apart, are these throttle bodies prone to failure of other types whether mechanical or otherwise? The brakes should have shut the cruise control off so I don't think it was anything to do with the cruise control per se.

In any case, who's got a stock throttle body assembly they don't need? I want to swap this one out regardless.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d

Holy crap I was not aware this was a known issue...Not sure how I'd go trying to out brake 320rwkw, can Brembos+Remsas do that? : /

Key off to kill engine is also dangerous as power steering goes away, but probably a better option, as long as you are pointing in an OK direction when you do it.

• Member For: 17y 11m 3d

Wife knows better than to key it as you lose brakes, steering and potential steering lock. Having the presence of mind to bang it into neutral is down to the person at the time though.

Car is 100% stock standard (if you don't count the billet turbo filter), well maintained and has never ever missed a beat in this manner.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 14d

You wouldn't lose brakes straight away

You'd get a few pumps before it goes

But neutral is best

Scary none the less

Hope it's sorted out for you

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d

Excellent question, I turfed my Ford ones as it moved around and mine had worn through anyway. I put in rubber ones with spikes on the back and it hasn't moved. I actually used the short (rear) one for driver's foot well due to extinguisher mounting bracket.