Is A Tune Really Required After Turbo Swapping?

daveyboii

• Member For: 9y 10m 27d

Hey Guys,

Some of you may have already read my posts on here where I've written my story about my new car, long story short I bought an XR6 FG Ute and blew the turbo on the first night (lol'd but so painful) now I've fitted a Hypergear ATR45 which they list as a direct replacement for BA/BF XR6 turbos so im assuming its an equivalent to a GT35/40, what im asking now is do I need a complete tune as ive driven it last night and it feels just as powerful as day one only thing is turbo is rated for more power than the stock one and the car is running a fair bit rich which I'm hating but asking this more or less to ensure im not harming the engine/turbo with an old tune

• Member For: 20y 8m 18d

I would strongly suggest checking the tune on the dyno. If it was a like for like replacement, as in GT35/40 for GT35/40 then no need but to go with a different manufacturer then there is a high possibility of the two turbos having a different flow map.

Benny.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 29d

The BA/BF turbos are not the same as the FG ones - not a direct replacement.

One that's a direct replacement for a BA/BF isn't going to be a direct replacement for an FG

(Am tipping you've got the stock FG one? You didn't say)

Edited by Rab

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d

How do you know. Not only can I see you but I can hear you, Currently you are swearing and complaining that your battery is flat as you left the key on last night after working on your car. Now you are sipping a cup of tea and writing a post.