Vale Craig Hodge (Rudiger)

tab

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 4d

It's with a very heavy heart that we have the devastating news that Craig succumbed to cancer this morning after a prolonged tough fight.

Craig leaves behind a loving family and a new wife of only a few days and our thoughts are with them.

To this forum Craig was not only an excellent cruise controller and bloody fantastic guy to have around but also made a great contribution to the road safety debate in the wider community through the publication of his book Road Kill.

On a personal note my eyes have been leaking a bit on and off all day thinking of the relatively few but bloody fantastic moments that we shared.

It's probably a bit weird to consider someone a mate that lives 2000km away and you met over the internet and you only saw once a year on the annual Snowies Cruise pilgrimage, but Craig has that effect on people. He was one of the very few blokes that you can't think of a bad word to say about. And through all the sh*t that he went through over the last few years never did he not have a smile on his face and not once were there any pleas for sympathy. He is most definitely an inspiration to all that he touched.

Rest in peace Craigles.

And a huge f*ck YOU to cancer. Stop taking all the decent people FFS.

There's undoubtedly many better pictures to pay tribute to this great man, but these of Gary's from the Snowies cruise in November last year moved me. With his daughter Bethany and son Connor peeking under Rachel's bonnet. And the customary group shot of us freaks (and he made a point of standing next to the most handsome bloke of course)

SwnmDIK.jpg

b94mbFF.jpg

It's not going to be the same without you Craig.

• Like 5

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 20d

That sucks balls, blardy cancer.

Seeing Rudiger's name around here so long it kinda feels like loosing family somehow.

RIP Craig.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 28d

RIP Craig.. I never met him in person but his book and his blog were both inspirational. His blog helped my dad through some tough times and showed him it was okay to feel beat down from the cancer from time to time as long as you never have up.

f*ck you cancer!

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 3d

Couldn't of said it better than that Tab. My thoughts exactly.

It's surreal to me that it wasn't that long ago that Gaz, Rusty and myself were at Craig's 50th. It's also just a few days since I saw photos of Craig nursing his nephews new baby and talking about a possible celebration of his marriage to Kerryn when he was out of hospital.

I'm still shocked to the point that I need to apologise to my team at work tomorrow because I just wasn't there today. My head was somewhere else.

I tell you what though. I've got a dark area that's been growing on my face for a little while and I picked up the phone and booked a doctors appointment after hearing of Craig's passing because that's what he would've done. He wouldn't have ignored it like I have. He would've met it head on with a smile and a joke.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 4d

Exactly. And I think that's what I admire the most about him, that cheeky grin and the fck you attitude to anything that he came up against.

Panda mentioned his blog...his last entry was a month ago but I re-read it several times today and it helped overcome the sadness. http://www.mycancerblog.info/

Along with his facebook updates right up until a few days ago he was a funny bastard right to the end. :bowdown:

• Like 1