Tail Shaft Mall Wood V Cheeper No Frills ?

• Member For: 10y 2m 26d

got a price of mall wood this morning ,and got a bitt of a shock of the price of it ($2300) not delivered .so then I phoned farrows at nambour (45 min away ) for a custom made shaft with heavy duty steel and universals for $2000 . I then called in on a way to a job and had a bit of a talk to him (had a vh 308 tailshaft done there 15 years ago ) he said that he could use the old turbo sedan tailshaft and use some of the v8 ute tailshaft and make it fit that way .maybe about $1400 to do it ,he would get rid of the rubber parts on the front of the shaft and fit bigger universals to suit .he would also get rid of the back rubber mount as well .the rubber parts are not able to with stand 450 hp to well . just keep in mind that I can only legally use 215 60 16 tyres to my one tonne rated ute .but on the drag strip I will run et street tyres .is mall woods shaft a bitt overboard to use ? its just that I have no money left to spend (over budget ) .still have to get a tune and some electrical sorted out by redcliffe dyno .thanks for any comments

• Member For: 20y 8m 17d

You can get quality strong tailshafts for much less than $2k. I had mine made locally for $1250 and is gauranteed for 1000hp. I've had no issues and the quality is very good.

Benny.

• Like 1

I have phoned about 5 tail shaft shops and they were all around that price bracket of $2000 ,which I thought was just way to much . $1250 sounds so much more what I believe they should be .

Sourcing a shaft from here in Newcastle might not be cost effective once you factor in freight but it would be worth investigating. Contact Chris Gibson at Gibsons Driveshafts, he is one of the nicest guys you'll deal with and will bend over backwards to help you out. Chris makes shafts for a number well known Sydney tuners.

http://www.gibsondriveshaft.com.au/about.html (02) 4958-3059

Benny.

• Like 1

I totally agree.

In my mind it's about getting what you need for a price you see as reasonable. I have a balanced shaft that is gaurenteed well above the power I'm aiming for and at a price that I think is quite reasonable.

Benny.

• Like 1

totally agree with ratter ,the mall wood shaft would be the ducks nuts in tail shafts .but I have totally over budget this build by about $4000-$5000 and I just have nothing left at all to give ( money wise ) have a look at my build thread under 327 rwkw ba one tonne ute .I have summed up my expenses there to show it is not worth doing what I have done .but it was fun and a great experience

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 10y 5m 13d

Hardy-Spicer in Brisbane quoted me $1200-1300 for a purpose built shaft to support 1000hp..
Correspondence was thru a Ken Ferguson and heres his response..

I think the most expensive upgrade, (which includes entire new heavy duty Centre Bearing assembly,
chrome moly tube, and fitting heavy duty splines and replacing rear CV with 1350 series Uni joint assembly) is roughly around $1200-$1300.
We have made them for a couple of cars showing over 1000HP, and seem to be going strong.
The only small problem we have encountered is when fitting new HD Centre Bearing assembly is small harmonic vibrations, due to the fact the new centre bearing is more rigid than before.
id be contacting them before I handed over any more than $1400 inc delivery to where ever u are..