Zf Auto Problem

snakeoilstu

• Member For: 15y 3m 21d

2009 FG XR6T with zf 6 speed auto. 120k km it has just started not changing down on tip tronic. Only noticed as I don't usually use it but there's a hill where I allways chnage down into 4th for brakeing and went to do it this time and nothing there. Will chnage up and down 6/5 but that's it. On auto seems to work fine.

No the fluffy dice and hula girl are not stopping the stick getting full travel. I got the gbox oil and filter done not long ago at about 110k km but they intially mucked up and didn't get enough oil into it (apprently there's a bit of a trick). Chnaged very rough until it went back to have the extra 2l added - then it worked fine until this - could that be a factor ?

Cheers

stu

• Member For: 10y 4m 8d

Yeah the trick is to not touch it if you have NFI. Where did you take it bud so the rest of us know to stay away? 0.5l top up maybe but shouldn't be required, 2l fark no.

Read this and you will understand why:

http://www.zf.com/brands/content/en/zf_parts/technology_in_practice_zp/oil_change_procedure_zp/how-to-change-oil.html

Now your armed with that knowledge, ring that muppet and tell him he is up for a new gearbox.

• Like 1

I thought he said an extra 2L but may have got that wrong. In any case more oil was added and the box ran smoothly after that............well for the next 10,000km anyway. So concensus is that this is not some common minor glitch and more of a major probably caused by the initial underfilling ? I'll go back to the guy and see what he has to say before blasting his name over the internet. Suffice to say a NZ company so for 90% of your members not relevant.

Cheers

stu

According to my guy this is likely a gearbox / electrical problem and not unheard of for the ZF 6 speed auto. No-one else come accross it ???. Anyway its off to Mr Ford for hopefully a simple fix.

Stu

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 3d

Simple fix at like $150/L or whatever it is for Lifeguard 6. Good luck and hopefully it's just the oil level.

Yeh I hear what you're saying but I found an excellent detailed explanation of the problem on the fordmods website. Something about little magnets attached to the shifter, and other people with the same issue so pretty sure its not oil related. Gearbox oIl cost is a bitch though - must be made from orca spleens caught by hand !

• Like 1