Power Steering Pump Whine!

Skinny_B

• Member For: 12y 10m 3d

G'day Chaps!

My 2nd only post, excited haha

I'm reading through the forum 24/7 to help me diagnose all the problems I get with my 03 BA xr6T.

I can normally find all I need by reading through the older threads and thanks to everyone who answers all the questions and solves all the problems, saved me alot of money (along with every other member on here). Hoping you can help me out here.

I started hearing a whine coming from the engine bay one morning, immediately pulled over and the whine was gone. It only appeared with my foot on the gas, both forward and reverse, and would get louder and higher pitch with rpm increase. After trying to find the source for a good 15min I thought it might be the power steering pump. Fluid level and condition was good, put a screw driver on the pump to my ear and yes, there it was.

I picked up a 2nd hand pump from Advanced Ford Wreckers in Auckland and changed it out. Fresh oil, no problems, straight swap. Started the car and the Whine still there. Screw driver to the pump and to my ear and the same damn noise/problem.

I know its a slim chance they sold me a dud pump, they said it was in good condition and come with a warranty luckily.

But now I'm wondering if its the pump or is there a chance the lines could block up? What other components are there that could affect this? Blocked screen or sensor?

Cheers

Sorry about the rambling!

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 1d

hahaha I had this exact problem.

I replaced the power steering pump in my BA because it was noisy, the noise persisted after replacing it and I broke down. The alternator was making the sound.

Ford have a lovely design where if there is a leak from the powersteering up top, it goes straight onto the alternator which f*cks it.

Edited by johnxr6t

• Member For: 12y 10m 3d

I checked the alternator and it's fine. I'm pretty sure its the 2nd hand pump. Just wondering if theres anything else that could affect it? I'll probably get a third pump and if the problems still there than it obviously is something else.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 1d

Hows the belt condition? Any cracks? Can you make noise go away if you spray abit of water at the pulley?

But just sayin this exactly happened to me and even a mechanic I used didnt pick it up.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Have you tried loading the steering say when you're on the dirt? Turn the steering full left and right and see if the noise continues (or changes the pitch of the noise) whilst doing this?

Just trying to fault find and without having to fork out money otherwise a steering place would know immediately I'd say and there fault finding should be allot quicker!