Android App "torque" Tips And Tricks ?

GUN-808

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 7m 18d

Tried the EOT and TFT today. The tranny only got as high as 55 degrees (have an external cooler fitted) and the EOT got as high as 110 degrees.

In real terms what temperature does engine oil get up to

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11d

Tried the EOT and TFT today. The tranny only got as high as 55 degrees (have an external cooler fitted) and the EOT got as high as 110 degrees.

My TFT with external cooler runs that cool as well.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 14d

My TFT runs about 82 while the EOT is 83 in winter, coz standard trans cooler.

I have seen 95 EOT during summer thrashing so I would assume around 94 TFT in that instance. Time for a fluid to air trans cooler me thinks..

• Member For: 10y 5m 3d

FUEL TRIMS:

Ok so some of you are probably just going to go well duh. But I didn't understand this until yesterday so I thought id share it for those who may be interested. My car has smelt a little rich lately so I thought well ill log the fuel trims even though I dont really understand and try and work it out later. Im going to cover this using percentages and not the raw sensor data(voltage). Both readings are available in torque.

Basically in closed loop the pcm looks at your o2 sensors and determines whether the mixture is lean or rich and adjusts the STFT(short term fuel trim) accordingly. Positive values mean injector pulse width is increased adding fuel. Negative values the reverse happens. Anything in single digits indicates a good fuel strategy, double digits you've got a problem. Most pcm's will chuck a code at 25% either way. The LTFT is a learnt value and should be pretty close to zero and is the overall fuel strategy which I believe determines how the short term strategy is calculated and is the best indication of how your car is running. On a side note I think this is what tuners refer to as "scope" in relation to intake/exhaust mods and is the reason only cars tuned in closed loop have this "scope".

So here's what I logged, G6ET, had been idling for 10mins after an oil change.

STFT:

hy3apeza.jpg

apparently its normal for the STFT to jump between +/- like that. Pulling just over 2% max and adding nearly 3% max so all good there.

LTFT

e9uza3at.jpg

I replaced my battery like 2days ago which is why my LTFT doesn't look like a nice straight line yet as its a learnt value but overall it appears my car is pulling 4% fuel at the most, its hard to make an average just by looking at that 2 min log but there is alot of activity between -1.5 and -2.5 so lets say on average its pulling 2% fuel in the long term meaning its running just a little rich. Nothing to worry about though.

Hope ive interpreted all this correctly. Feel free to correct if I haven't, I do not want to misinform people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 10y 6d

ok. an update

got my hands on an IR thermometer, and took some readings of the Engine Oil temp, trans temp and coolant temp and compared them to the Torque app temps

here is where I took the readings from(you can just see the little red light)

http://20140731_192328_zps74e484f9.jpg

http://20140731_192306_zps51e7006b.jpg

http://20140731_192216_zps4471bb59.jpg

not sure if this where I should be getting the temps from. any suggestions, let me know

results

EOT Trans FL Coolant

Torque IR torque IR torque IR

eng. Cold 39c 23c

eng. Hot 97c 73c

15 mins off 88c 62c

2hrs off 65c 39c 51c 35c 50c 51c

so the EOT is off by about 26c when hot

the trans is out about 16c, but I didnt get any reading when hot. normal trans temps on torque is 80-86c hot

the coolant looks spot on. normal coolant temps is 90c when hot

I'll see if I can get a full range of temps over the weekend

hope this all makes sense

• Like 2