Hdi Intercooler Are They Any Good ?

• Member For: 10y 4m 8d

^^^ correct, their mounting location is VL spec. Otherwise they look like a nice entry level unit. Value for money is the appeal of these. One of Gunna's mates had good results on these as well.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 9d

Wow, some pretty rough comments here. considering no one here owns one.

Well I have one and it goes a little more than 300rwkw and the highest recorded intake pressure was 19psi.

But yes, my tuner did say the intake temps were a little higher than other brands. It however didn't perform as badly as people say.

For less than $500 - I'm not complaining. I'm not saying everybody go out and buy one, I'm just saying - its not a piece of sh*t like everybody on this forum would have you think.

Haters gonna hate, but for the coin - no issues to report other than it's a bit of work to install, but in saying that - It's the first and only intercooler I've ever installed myself so I can't really compare it to anything.

IMG_5640.jpg

As mentioned depends on back to back runs and although you said this was the 32nd run doesn't mean it wasn't cooled down before final run.

Also I think it says 22 degree ambient temp on that graph so the car was tuned in cooler weather. On a 35 degree day is when you will really notice it.

It clearly made a great number and good for the price, but when you're spending up to make power you don't want to really lose 30+kw from heatsoak because you cheaped out on the cooler

Yea that's a valid point, I haven't noticed it get slack yet after a few consecutive pulls on the street. But note the dyno sheet, that run is the 32nd run.

Tuner did mention intake temps were higher than typical. Which id be upset by if I spent $2k on a cooler, but I didn't, I didn't even spend $500 and I installed it myself. So pretty cheap power if you ask me.

Who here races their falcon?

Most guys here drive it as their daily and do an occasional drag day which is like 1 run.

I saw one falcon with insane power at the drags once...it didn't even have a cooler.

Bandwagons will always exists cause everybody "heard" or "has a mate with one" etc.

But for the benefit of the forum, my results should clear up the "300rwkw max" that people claim about these coolers.

I'm not saying they're better than PW or Nizpro, I'm just sharing my results and showing they're not sh*t like people say they are.

I like the clamps - I think they're awesome. Look cool too

That drag car would have been on meth so very very different to running a street car on 98

• Like 2

• Member For: 13y 1m 26d

Correct. I agree with your statement. But I don't think anyone considering the HDI cooler fits into your "spending up" group. I did this on the cheap...very cheap.

Everything was cost price except the exhaust and morpowas time in labour and tuning.

I'm happy with it.

I'll see how it goes in summer, but being in Adelaide where it gets up to mid 40s, I'm not expecting miracles.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

I'm not sure where you live Knackers so let us know that and just record the intake temps when your out and about driving around for the day (use the xcal or an obd2 dongle). Record the ambient and intake temps for us and how you drove around be it casual or a$$ raping it...

Location already confirmed! Fcking Tapatalk...

Edited by bjc

• Member For: 11y 10m 2d

Yeah I was thinking of going HDI but it appeared you need to read a novel in order to design a car to fit an intercooler.

That's why I just put a F6 Cooler in, cheap and kept things under control.

Then when I wanted the best, I got Proccess West.

Take pride in your car put good stuff in don't f*ck it up

• Member For: 10y 2m

Jake spend only about $3000-$3500 total on mods and tunes on his FG turbo ute .he also has a HDI cooler ,and his power rating is at 346 rwkw on E85 . he has no problems with heat soak at all (QLD Caloundra ) last Saturday he ran a 11.51 at 121 miles and a 60 foot 1.8 . as I have said before ,if the instructions would be better it would be easy to fit the HDI cooler .no problem for someone with some brains to fit one of those (I did stuff up but got it to work ).but for the price nothing comes close to it . the rest of the coolers for sale on the market are over priced (yes they are better )bang for buck show me one that is better . the cooler has been on the car for about a year with no problems so far . all the mods to his car are ,fuel pump - injectors -4 inch dump and cat only -tuned by Forced Performance

Edited by genuine honest person
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1