Slow Speed Knock/rattle In Rear End Of Fg

ello678

• Member For: 10y 11d

So I've pulled the LH rear Bilstein out, and done some measurements.

Top mount diameter:

Bolt - 11.85mm

OEM Shock - 12.35mm

Bilstein Shock - 12.20 mm

Top mount width:

OEM - 39.00mm

Bilstein - 39.65mm

Bottom mount diameter:

Bolt - 12.56mm

OEM Shock - 14.4mm

Bilstein Shock - 14.0 mm

Bottom mount width:

OEM - 49.95mm

Bilstein - 49.45mm

So the mount holes in the Bilstein are smaller than the OEM, and the width of the top mount is larger. I can't see how this would introduce a knocking noise, but I'll re-allemble with some grease & see what it does.

• Member For: 12y 1m 29d

Interesting...that is the opposite of what I thought it would be. I was planning on doing the same thing this weekend, if I get time ill measure the left side shock as that is the one making most of the noise.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ok, so ive just taken the bilsteins out to measure the hole diameter and they are about 0.1mm smaller than stock. So I was thinking it surely cant be the bilsteins but I wanted to be sure. So ive just chucked the stock shocks back in and sure enough, quiet as a mouse! I took it for a half hour drive along the normal route when it used to knock like crazy and the stock shocks were fine. It must be something internal in the bilsteins. I got them from Wholesale and Pat is a good guys so im hoping he can help me out when I give him a call on Monday.

• Member For: 12y 11m 9d

I've got this problem as well. Bilsteins with king springs and the first version of the ball jointed rear sway bar links. I've been under the car and tightened everything. Was thinking it was the sway bar links? I'll put the old ones back in and report. Rear, left.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok just an update, sorry for the long post, I should have taken some pics, so I'll explain what I did.

I took the bilsteins to Pat and he took them away to get tested on a shock dyno but he came back and said the shocks were fine. This left me a bit confused, however he did mention it could be something to do with three abnormal grooves in the top shock mount.

So when I went to put the bilsteins back in I noticed three small bumps on the inside of the shock bracket (on the car). These three bumps are cause when ford weld the nut to the bracket, this causes the metal bracket to deform slightly. Now because the stock shock mount is thinner than the bilsteins there is no issue. But the bilsteins are slightly wider so you really have to force them in the bracket (I even had to loosen the bracket a bit), and when you tighten the shock bolt it crushes the bracket onto the shock mount and makes three small grooves, so now the shock mount is interlocking with the shock bracket. So my theory is, when you drive along and hit these small consecutive bumps, the shock moves up and down ever so slightly, which forces the shock mount in and out of the groove causing this knocking noise.

So before I put the bilsteins back on the car, using a small grinder, I ground the shock mount down a few mm where the three grooves were, put it back in with a little bit of grease, and the noise was gone.

So if you have the same problem as I did, and you've recently fitted bilsteins, pull them out and look for three small grooves on the top shock mount and grind them out!

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d

Certainly your attention will be elsewhere :)