Slow Speed Knock/rattle In Rear End Of Fg

ello678

• Member For: 12y 1m 28d

Hey guys, I know similar issues have been covered before, but I've done my research and tried a few solutions which have been mentioned but it doesn't seem to be fixing the problem I have.

I've got Mk2 turbo with 22k on the clock and I've had bilsteins/kings on for about 9 months. But recently I'm getting a knocking/rattling noise (I think some guys on here have described it as a bobbeling noise) coming from the passenger side rear. It only happens below about 60km/hr and over consecutive very small bumps/undulations in the road, big bumps like speed humps there's no noise. Its a faint sound but its slowly getting louder. At first it sounded like its coming from the parcel shelf or the boot, but I've tried removing the spare wheel and making sure the vent near the tail light is not loose however this didn't fix the problem. Then I thought it might be the sway bar links so I replaced them with the ball type ones from Pat but this didn't work, I then tried tightening the shock bolts, and they were already tight so that didn't work either. Has anyone got any more ideas? I can't imagine any bushes being at fault as its only done 22k. The only thing I can think of is something to do with the spring or spring seats? Any help appreciated.

Edited by ello678

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately theres been no progress, I drove to the hunter last week and it was fine as I spent most of the time above 60, its just annoying whenever I enter a car park and I can still hear the knock. I might take it to pedders in the next few weeks and if they find anything ill let u know

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Member For: 19y 3m 3d

Hey guys, I know similar issues have been covered before, but I've done my research and tried a few solutions which have been mentioned but it doesn't seem to be fixing the problem I have.

I've got Mk2 turbo with 22k on the clock and I've had bilsteins/kings on for about 9 months. But recently I'm getting a knocking/rattling noise (I think some guys on here have described it as a bobbeling noise) coming from the passenger side rear. It only happens below about 60km/hr and over consecutive very small bumps/undulations in the road, big bumps like speed humps there's no noise. Its a faint sound but its slowly getting louder. At first it sounded like its coming from the parcel shelf or the boot, but I've tried removing the spare wheel and making sure the vent near the tail light is not loose however this didn't fix the problem. Then I thought it might be the sway bar links so I replaced them with the ball type ones from Pat but this didn't work, I then tried tightening the shock bolts, and they were already tight so that didn't work either. Has anyone got any more ideas? I can't imagine any bushes being at fault as its only done 22k. The only thing I can think of is something to do with the spring or spring seats? Any help appreciated.

I have had Bilsteins for tens of thousands of km and they are simply awesome, awesome stuff in every situation.

Nevertheless, that rattle just may.... be the Bilsteins...

A reliable source told me that the (top) mounting holes for at least some Bilsteins were ever so slightly too large for the XR6-T (Falcon) mounting bolts. This may have been caused by the fact that the tolerance specificed for the holes were just wrong, or, it may have been something elese, like the fact that holes were specified for the wrong measurement system (imperial v metric).

Interestingly, if you do a global search for Bilstein and rattle (or something like that) you will find that this sort of problem (rattle noise only when coming off small sharp bumps at low speed - otherwise simply awesome performance) is farily well known in the US and it is associated with a wide variety of vehicle platforms.

The problem is the US is that the Bilstein mounting holes are ever so slightly too big. This, according to a number of people on US car forums, has been determined to be the result of the fact that the Bilstein mounting holes were defined by the wong measurement system (imperial v metric).

Here are some numbers, which may or may not be correct. I have not been in a position to check this though someone else may.

Rear BA Bilstein Top Mount

width of top mount

39.5mm

mounting hole diameter

should be 12.2mm plus or minus 0.2mm

actual 12.2mm plus or minus 0.5mm

Rear BA Bilstein Bottom Mount

width of bottom mount

49.5mm

mounting hole diameter

should be 14.1mm

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 5d

This could be the problem as I was thinking it was shocks. I do have the bilsteins and the knock came after I had them fitted. How would you fix this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had Bilsteins for tens of thousands of km and they are simply awesome, awesome stuff in every situation.

Nevertheless, that rattle just may.... be the Bilsteins...

A reliable source told me that the (top) mounting holes for at least some Bilsteins were ever so slightly too large for the XR6-T (Falcon) mounting bolts. This may have been caused by the fact that the tolerance specificed for the holes were just wrong, or, it may have been something elese, like the fact that holes were specified for the wrong measurement system (imperial v metric).

Interestingly, if you do a global search for Bilstein and rattle (or something like that) you will find that this sort of problem (rattle noise only when coming off small sharp bumps at low speed - otherwise simply awesome performance) is farily well known in the US and it is associated with a wide variety of vehicle platforms.

The problem is the US is that the Bilstein mounting holes are ever so slightly too big. This, according to a number of people on US car forums, has been determined to be the result of the fact that the Bilstein mounting holes were defined by the wong measurement system (imperial v metric).

Here are some numbers, which may or may not be correct. I have not been in a position to check this though someone else may.

Rear BA Bilstein Top Mount

width of top mount

39.5mm

mounting hole diameter

should be 12.2mm plus or minus 0.2mm

actual 12.2mm plus or minus 0.5mm

Rear BA Bilstein Bottom Mount

width of bottom mount

49.5mm

mounting hole diameter

should be 14.1mm

Thanks for the advice mate, I think your right. After reading your post I greased the sh*t out the top and bottom shock bolts and its gotten better, not perfect but definitely better. Id say between 40 & 60km/hr its about 80% better and below 40km/hr its probably 50% better. I might have to re grease once or twice a yr unless there is a better solution (maybe putting a small sleeve through the shock mount to reduce the clearance). but anyway im happy for now, thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Member For: 10y 11d

Very interesting - I put a set of Bilsteins on my G6ET not long after I bought it (used - 100K), and have a similar low-speed noise. I don't think it was there before I fitted the new shocks, but only drove it for a few days with the stock ones on.

I'll try & check this out in the next few days & post my findings - still have the OEM shocks in the shed.