Slow Speed Knock/rattle In Rear End Of Fg

ello678

• Member For: 12y 1m 30d

Yeh that's right, when ford weld the nut to the metal plate it deforms the other side as the plate is only a few mm thick. Its a bit tricky to get access to that spot so it's easier to just grind down the shock mount a few mm.

Edited by ello678

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6d

Did you happen to take photos of the shock mounts once you grounded them down. I've just done what was suggested and I've still got this knocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't sorry. But I did manage to find a sh*tty quality pic on the net. The red dots I've marked are where the small indentations were (the inner flange). I removed the indentations in those spots only, by grinding them down a few mm I.e. I didn't grind down the whole inner flange. I suppose you could ground down that whole inner flange a few mm and it would have the same effect. Obviously if you didn't have these indentations in the first place then your problem lies somewhere else.

The other thing I didn't mention before was, in my case the knocking was worse on the passenger side. So when I went to put the bilsteins back I swapped them around. I.e left shock on the right. I doubt that would have had an effect, but its worth a shot if the knocking noise is worse on one side.

post-50017-0-75007200-1405756001_thumb.g

• Donating Members

Thanks mate, I've taken the shocks out and ground down the areas where I could see where the shock mounts had been rubbing like in the 3 spots in the picture. Replaced shocks and unfortunately I still have the knock! I'm now looking for a standard set of rear shocks to try them and see if the shocks are the problem. If this isn't the problem then it could be the nolathene diff bushes and control blade bushes. So if any one has a set of standard rear shocks they don't want I'll gladly take them off your hands!

Yeah knocks are bloody hard to find. I even replaced my sway bar links before I knew it was the bilsteins. I can lend you my standard shocks if you're in Sydney, I'd like them back just in case the knocking comes back though!

• Donating Members

Thanks mate, I'm heading over seas on Wednesday, when I come back in 2 weeks I might hit you up. I'll only have them in for a day or 2 just to see if the bilsteins are the problem. I am in western Sydney.

• Member For: 18y 3m 10d

Fark me!

I have this same noise! Everything the same! Kings and bilsteins!

Have had sydney suspension look at everything and all is good!

I suspected it was the shock due to the fact that when there was weight on that side I.e passenger seat or back seat the noise was almost non existant!

Also it seems to be quiet in the wet, so maybe water acts as 'lube' to stop the 'grabbing' effect.... Fark me, the thing that annoyed me was the shop didnt believe it could be the shock!

Now I know, thanks guys time to spray some tac2 on it until I can grind the farking thing!

I have racked my bloody brain with this!!!

• Member For: 18y 3m 10d

It should happen on the right hand side too but I think that most IRS cradles are misaligned from factory as wholesale did my diff bushes before sydney suspension took over and they said mine is off 5mm from being 100% aligned, but put it back where the factory had it...

Also I think road camber might have an affect as well, funny how its the same side in all the instances so far....

I cant believe how much my situation mirrored the original post, I pulled the rear seat out, boot apart, removed taillight vents too, had it on a hoist twice, thought it was a cv joint, sway bar ends, but its all good (thankfully) im so stoked to have found this thread.....but now I wish I just went coilovers in the first place!!!!

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

So glad I chose Konis :)