Awd Territory Vibration

stew565

• Member For: 10y 4m 7d

Stew - I had a problem with vibration under load in drive while stationary at lights and also in the speed range of 90 to 120 km/hr - after a non productive visit to the Ford dealer I went to a loacl performance workshop and we discovered that the primary cause was us engine mounts, These engine mounts are oil filled and hence have hydraulic dampering effects once the oil is lost and the rubber tears at bit the engine starts to rotate around the mounts.

• Member For: 10y 8m 9d

Just an update on our ttg vibration

Replaced the third bush in front diff ,what a pain that was, Vibration still there.

The car has 275,000 km now on it, so hopefully something will present itself soon.Also replaced turbo oil fitler to stop oil light

coming on . overhauled turbo and powersteering pump. As I said before both engine mounts are new so im all out of ideas!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Member For: 10y 8m 9d

New update. 

Ford replaced all rear different bushes .

Two were split ! But vibration still there.

I rebuilt transfer case had worn bearings and chain .Even fitted BMW x5 Trans bush. But you guessed it vibration still there..Any more ideas out there?...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 7y 6m 1d

I know that this was a long time ago but I recently bought a TT with 230 k on it I gave the thing a tougher inspection and saw that the FWD diff mounts were toast so I replaced the with non rubbers one Super something Aussie made anyway. Point is that post fitment I have exactly the same issue you have except that it's under light to medium loads if you put the hammer down it goes away.  I also replaced the front upper control arm bushes with non rubber whiteline at the same time I do wonder if it is nothing more than over stiffness of the new bushes and why ford used rubber in the first place.  I did the work myself the diff bushes are correctly orientated as per the instructions.  I have to replace a leaking front diff shaft seal this weekend if it turns up so I'll have a close look at the engine mounts while I'm there.  I also have my daughters Tessa ghia awd at the moment 300 k on it and put on the hoist and noted it has non rubber front diff mount and no load vibrations so I am really wondering about the combination of the upper control arm bushes as well as the diff ?????

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 7y 6m 1d
On 04/08/2014 at 5:39 PM, stew565 said:

Just an update on our ttg vibration

Replaced the third bush in front diff ,what a pain that was, Vibration still there.

The car has 275,000 km now on it, so hopefully something will present itself soon.Also replaced turbo oil fitler to stop oil light

coming on . overhauled turbo and powersteering pump. As I said before both engine mounts are new so im all out of ideas!!

I have a similar problem I replaced the front cv shafts which has part solved the issue now the vibration is less but seems to be coming from the rear where before there was clearly vibration through the steering wheel .  I'm going to change the drive shaft bearing next 

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 5y 11m 12d

Hi all, 

I'm chasing a vibration in mine also (TTG), which has been there to some extent it's whole life. I got  my Territory with about 40k on the clock, now has 150k.

The vibration I have is noticeable more at particular speeds (50-60km/h) but somewhat at all times ( can feel it through the car as a whole, not just the steering and can see in in the rear seats and rear view mirror) the main cause seems to be the rear tailshaft as the vibration is visible (at the centre bearing) when run up to speed in the air. There may also be other vibrations from other area's, but until I sort the rear shaft I won't know. 

I'll try to update on how it goes with the tailshaft sorted and what ends up being involved. 

Cheers Brent. 

• Like 1