Change Ba Fuel Style Tank For Fg Style...

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 16d

Hey guys,

my fuel system was due for an upgrade. After some discussion I decided to go for the KPM 1000hp fuel module which will give me plenty of room for future mods, (currently around 400rwkw) this is only available to suite the FG style fuel tank, I was under the impression that my 2006 BF mk2 was supposed to already have the later style tank, but it didn't -_-..

So I went ahead and sourced an FG sedan tank, had a good look at the two side by side at the wreckers and there were only very minor differences. Mainly the opening for the fuel module and the way it's held in, one of the corners were slightly bigger, the filler spouts were different diameters and the ventilation systems were different, but still connected to the charcoal canister in the same way..

Time to remove my tank, of course the top of the tank is right above the diff cradle, and the only way to remove it was to drop the cradle. I've never had to drop the cradle but it didn't seem to difficult and was definitely a good learning experience, with no access to a hoist I done it all on my driveway, I could of given up so many times but I was at the point of no return!!, it's doable but I would not recommend it! Haha.. I managed to remove it all by myself, (recommend a friend to help)... I changed a couple of the main bushes while it was all out, so I felt better about having to remove it..

The tank virtually fitted the same and the filler spout bolted straight up to the same spot. The ring that holds the fuel module in was abit big for the hole underneath the back seat so I cut some slots in the hole so the ring would fit through. The fuel return hose was slightly different and didn't want to fit so I made my own and will have to keep an eye on it, but the feed line fitted fine, a quick test to make sure it worked before installing the cradle shows that it worked fine, except I didn't check the fuel level sender -_-

After changing the bushes and getting a friend to help line up the cradle it all went back together fine, but I'd be in no hurry to do it all again!! Anyway a quick adjustment of the FPR and everything was running fine at 4bar.

The only issue from everything so far is the fuel sender! Occasionally it will work but most of the time it doesn't! It's extremely annoying especially when I haven't driven the car in a while or with this setup, so I'm not sure what the economy is like..

The sender could be stuffed as who knows how long the tank was sitting at the wreckers, or maybe they give a different signal from the early style to the later style, I'm still looking into that..

For the most part it was a successful conversion. I didn't take any photos but might be able to help if anyone decides to go in this direction..

Thanks for reading, Peppy

The positives and negatives have been posted in another thread, in my opinion this was the better way to go. This is just to show that it can be done for whatever reason anyone chooses to go down this path..

Thanks tranna, I will be doing this the next time I have a look around

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Would this still be considered legal, Obviously the KPM surge is legal

The metal module in a plastic tank......

Iam very sure this is why the herrod motorsport one is plastic exactly like the factory pot is !!

It's Probably just as legal as aftermarket exhausts, intakes, intercooler, injectors, or even just a tune, not to mention a surge tank of any kind?... This had nothing to do with my decision

• Like 2

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

I understand but then your or any customers insurance policy may not be worth the paper its written on if a product people "think" is as a replacement item

Herrod was very clear why his intanks were of same/same grade materials to oem product and at the end of the day people need to be aware or at bare min informed that it may void an insurance policy

And this goes for ANY aftermarket item, but iam sure u can see when 64ltrs of highly flameable liquid gets a big metalic ballist thrown into it the circumstances are vastly different to 1inch bigger wheels

So is it buyer beware or should more info like limited run time on e85 and may void your insurance be at the top of a sales product ?

Sometimes a full picture is needed