Ute Rear End Swaying

XAH03

• Member For: 16y 5m 21d

We've got a problem with my brothers BF turbo ute.

He was telling me about it a few weeks ago and as the car doesn't get driven much I hadn't had a drive of it until today. It's seems like when it's accelerating the rear end is swaying, it doesn't go just one way but goes left or right depending on the angle of the road. The tyres aren't loosing traction and when I drove behind it the car crab walks down the road. We've been underneath it to look at the bushes but couldn't see much.

It's been lowered on Pedders leafs about 3 years ago and is making around 450hp with a t56. I'm thinking it may be the rubbers where the U bolts are but does anyone have an idea what it could be?

• Member For: 10y 2m 22d

sounds like the bushes to me ,had similar experience with my ute and I replaced them all with nolathane ones .the only draw back is ,its so rough to ride in after I installed them . can see if they are stuffed by moving them with a crow bar

The bushes don't budge, that's what's got me confused. I would have thought that the bushes on the leafs would be buggered but they are fine

Edited by XAH03

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 2d

The axle has a lug that locates it to the leafs so unless the u-bolts are loose and the plates are shifting around its hard to say.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 28d

Replace the rear spring pads with SuperPro Units, Reset all the bolts when the car is sitting at ride height (u bolts and shackle/spring eye bolts) and consider fitting a rear sway bar.

The u bolts are done up tight, checked them lastnight.

We'll replace those spring pads and see how that goes. Looking under the car they seem to be the most worn so hopefully it's them.

• Member For: 10y 2m 22d

P7221879.jpg

P7221878.jpg

I found when I fitted these load plus spring helpers I could dial out steering response the more I tightened them up .it does lift the rear end up a bit but not a lot ,about 10 mm . it makes the rear end stiffer and more bouncy but gives the rear end more grip due to loosing some of the steering sensitivity .they only cost $120 .the rear leafs I have are john bow specials ,super lows (brand new )and work a hell of a lot better than the stock ones (they were on special for $180 of e bay from a guy that was to slack to fit them up ) . I also have no spring pads ,my original ones did not have any from factory (ba one tonne ) .your problem may be the bolt that holds the springs together ,which also acts as the locator for the diff . if so the springs would separate and move around (forwards and back ) ps I am no mechanic only a glazier that works on cars for fun

I might talk to my brother and see if he's interested in a set of them, if they do improve grip it would be something he needs especially in a ute.

I'm going to get under it a pull it apart tomorrow arvo. It does feel like the diff is floating in the car, it might be that the bolts are located.