Yatnt - Yet Another Ticking Noise Thread

straughsberry

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 11d

Hey all,

Firstly some history. Car is a BA XR6 Turbo auto running 369rwkw with 150,000km on the clock. It's had a post 06/06 short motor for about the last 80,000km but the head is original.

The car has had a miss and rough idle for years. There is no miss under load. It runs fine in gear and under acceleration. Over the last couple of weeks the rough idle resonates and vibrates through the car. Steering column, mirrors, seats etc. It wants to stall too. It evens out after 10 minutes of driving or so but is still there. After disconnecting battery, the roughness is a lot better and doesn't want to stall as much but it's still a little rough.

A couple of nights ago it developed a ticking noise which seems to be coming from down low. It's a lot louder under the car. Not that noticeable from engine bay.

Car still goes fine under throttle - no miss or reluctance to rev. Still making same boost. No fault codes.

Flex plate? Rod? Lifter? Timing chain tensioner? Opinons?

Cheers,

Steph.

• Donating Members

It's not as bad as it sounds. The mic on the phone is being over driven by the exhaust which is making it sound a lot worse than it is. It's just the high-pitched 'ticking' that's the issue.

• Donating Members

Can't seem to get clean audio on my phone. This is the best I could do:

The tick isn't there until 5 or so minutes after cold start. Makes me think it's a lifter...

Edited by straughsberry

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 10m 25d

Almost sounds like exhaust gasket leaking, (manifold possibly) Cut a piece of garden hose ( about a meter long ) and stick one end to your ear and move the other end around the motor and exhaust joins, you might be able to locate where the sound is coming from and go from there.

• Donating Members

The sound from the phone is misleading. It's definitely not an exhaust leak. Not saying it is, but in person it sound's very much like a collapsed lifter. Will be getting it diagnosed soon so I should know exactly.

• 8 months later...