V8 Super Cars & Supporting Catagory

BenDoCo

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 2d

Mate I have to disagree. I'm not a big F1 fan. So maybe someone of my vintage and an enthusiast can elaborate more. But in my life time there have been several mandatory changes and in those about three engine changes. I'm sure they have had small engines before.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_engines

Some great info and reading in all the tabs.

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 4m 30d

There have been a pretty large variety of engines used in formula 1, even cars with 6 wheels. But size and configurations is not really what im getting at. Its this focus on being green and economical all of a sudden which sorta started when they dropped the v10.

Fact is formula 1 is losing its charm and so will v8 supercars if it goes down a similar path. I've grown up with v8 supercars quite literally as the category formed when I was a child, I do remember the last of the atcc days, I remember brock doing what looked to be a very handy qualifying lap of Bathurst in his bombodore and then getting his ass handed to him by skaife in a gtr.

I've already accepted that one day soon we will all be driving boring ass hybrids and that the days of selling performance cars to the masses are over. I dont see why motor sport has to go this way.

The current COTF formula is perfect and basically allows any manufacturer to get involved. The v8 in the Nissan is from a patrol and Im not sure where the volvos get theirs but neither of those cars are available with a v8. So whats the big deal? Nobody will be driving v8 street cars soon enough, so that means we cant have them in race cars? Nascar is a bad example coz its gay, but it works. Race on Sunday sell on Monday as they say. I dont think they will be changing to 6cyl or diesel any time soon...they only stopped using carbies in 2012 lol. The v8 supercar formula is similar but has better technology, tracks with right hand corners and cars that look almost exactly like their road going counter parts to anybody without a measuring tape.

Sorry bout the rant mate, Im not at all against change, just the direction in which it seems to be heading.

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 2d

Mate I'm optimistic. The death of the car as an enjoyable entity has been around for ages. But whilst there are people with passion and money in their pockets. The manufactures will make great cars.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/O3rpmctmC_M?feature=oembed

Watch this it will make you smile.

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 12d

Found this on the Red Bull website......quite a good read

http://m.redbullracingaustralia.com/news/behind-the-scenes-with-the-rbra-mechanics

Sorry but it's the mobile website version so if ya on the desktop just remove the - m. - and it should be fine me finks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 2m 18d
Volvo returns to Sandown!

It's been 20 years since Volvo Car Australia competed in the Sandown 500 in 1994.

Dutchman Jan Lammers and production car expert Kent Youlden (pictured) finished 19th overall and fourth in class in an 850 T-5.

This year is just the fifth time (in addition to 1964, 1985, 1986 and 1994) that a Volvo has competed in the Sandown 500.

Thought you might like that Garry Rogers Motorsport and V8 Supercars fans ....

10608327_721524161253808_462664881394908

• Like 2

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 12d

If you're at Sandown this weekend Corzza, pics mate........................pics

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 5d

Caught my first glimpse of the series yesterday since Bathurst last year.

What an annoying hodgepodge of a race it has now become I think I saw more ad's than actual racing in the hour or so before I had to turn it off and whats with the squarky whiney blonde fluff in the pits are they going for the chick rating.