Circuit Slicks Any Good For Drag Racing?

Bellato

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 9d

Hey guys, going to race my car for the first time in a few weeks at WSID and I can get a pair of 235/45/17 dunlop full slicks pretty cheap and was wondering if they're worth buying to race on or should I stick to my 265/30/20's that are my daily tyres? Only 300rwkw and not looking for the best time as I've never raced a car before so mt's aren't an option, just wondering if these will be much better than standard tyres?

• Idiot Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 7d

Circuit slicks have a stiff sidewall. Depends on compound but not realy that soft and you are going narrower.

Id race it as you drive it on the street and are use to.

Let me know when you go, im planning on a trip soon too.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 9d

I'm going on April 6th which is a sunday meet. Hoping 4 or 5 of us will head up from Canberra. Trying to get Micks 1131rwhp turbo to come race too.

Yea I was thinking the stiff sidewall might not help much. My biggest concern with my current tyres is they're a 265 on 10" rim so a bit stretched and no much sidewall flex either

• Will do skids for food
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 24d

Ahhh, reminds me of t' old days when a mate in Kalgoorlie shoehorned a 460 big block, C6 and a 9" into a MK1 Cortina (no, really!) fitted some curcuit slicks he scored from somewhere, towed it all the way to Ravenswood (see what I mean about the old days?) and spent the day smoking the tyres from start line to finish line until he was told to calm down or he'd be booted out.

Crowd didn't seem to mind though.

Can't remember the times, obviously not quick, but it was plus 100mph with smoke.

• Like 2