Easing Minds Oil Pump

ricky

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Who's pump housings have split? Alot off people are just replacing the gears and the engineer I spoke to said atomic were talking shit about the pumps having issues only revving to 8rpm will cause pumps to fail. He said atomic are just trying to make extra money.

Plenty have split pump housings without reving to 8k.

Change your gears or don't, it's your motor. But to suggest one of the major supplies of hipo engine parts are lying crooks because of his personal opinion is a bit rich.

Ask him about porting the relief circuit and see what his opinion is.

• Member For: 10y 1m 12d

Plenty have split pump housings without reving to 8k.

Change your gears or don't, it's your motor. But to suggest one of the major supplies of hipo engine parts are lying crooks because of his personal opinion is a bit rich.

Ask him about porting the relief circuit and see what his opinion is.

I'm not having a dig. Just thought id bring it up. If I've heard off a couple cases myself id replace the pump and gears. This guy only mentioned this to me. But doesn't have the wealth off expierience atomic have obviously. Wat kinda conditions-rpm have people here split there oil pumps?

Cheers

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 6m 27d

Oil pumps fail from the gears inside the pump. The pump itself isnt the problem it's the pump gears that are weak.

Oil pumps fail from the gears inside the pump. The pump itself isnt the problem it's the pump gears that are weak.

Do you understand the style of pump that is used? Its a geo rotor design, look it up. you'll find that it operates at very fine tolerances inside a housing. Geo rotor pump gears in the ford motor are made of sintered metal... if the geo rotor fails, the housing will fail.

LgGerotor.jpeg pump "gears" aka.... oil pump... georotor

Edited by Chaos310
  • Like 1

• Member For: 10y 1m 12d

Do you understand the style of pump that is used? Its a geo rotor design, look it up. you'll find it operates at very fine tolerances inside a housing. Geo rotor pump gears in the ford motor are made of sintered metal... if the geo rotor fauctioned the housing will fail.

LgGerotor.jpeg pump "gears" aka.... oil pump... georotor

Ive got a better understanding now :). Basically I made this thread to try and clear up oil pump-gears issue. As my engineer who makes billet oil pump gears but doesnt make a modified pump like atomic does. Hes told me there will be no issue with the pump it's the pump gears. unless very high rpm is actioned the oil pump is fine. But a couple off replys to this thread some people have actually had issues with there pumps. But your reply basically says when the oil pump gears fail the pump then fails then cracks.? There's a fair few makers for the billet gears for our cars but None off them make an upgraded pump also only atomic does. Has anyone had there pumps fails fail before there gears?

Cheers

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

The pump backing plates are known to wear/warp with billet gears installed. The billet gears can also cause housing issues (ie cracked housing) if the relief circuit isn't modified to increase flow.

• Member For: 11y 10m 2d

I have asked a few about this and a popular performance workshop said whenever people ring up saying their pump failed pretty much all of them were manual cars, however I talked to a person who had an automatic and this happened to him. The guy was using his in Tiptronic mode and as a result the engine often hit the limiter at times before it could shift fast enough into the next gear and the oil pump failed so did the engine.

Edited by Z2TT