Gt 335 Intercooling

FPV TRANNY

• Member For: 20y 7m 22d

Yeah I've mixed up a 50/50 blend yesterday and running it in the car now.

I managed to do a little road testing with just water injection to gauge any improvements in intake temps. Had a mate riding shotgun monitoring the intake temps with the Xcal3 and watching the water/meth controller as I varied throttle input. Ambient temp was 25deg and at 110kph I had a consistant 43deg intake temp for a 15min duration of cruise. With the pump connected and a WOT application we witnessed the intake temps drop from 43 to around 41deg. Followed by disconnecting the pump and doing the same, we also saw a drop of 2 deg during the WOT.

Sooo, much to my surprise I could not say from monitoring the intake temps via OBD that the water being injected lowered intake temps. In saying this I'd expect there would be a benefit in the combustion chamber with the water being injected. Only way to prove this would be on the dyno.

Benny.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 24d

Cheers for that Benny

I'm pretty keen on just a water injection kit post turbo on my car

It's been proven to lower intake temps but your data seems very interesting

Maybe that it was going in pre supercharger would negate the effects of the water

I'm far from an expert on this but I'm really surprised it's not widely utilized in our worlds

It'll be very interesting to see it on a dyno and to see if you'll be able to squeeze more power out of it

• Member For: 20y 7m 22d

I'm confident that more power will be achieved with the methanol and believe there is a benefit to the water, but the results can't be seen yet. Even water alone is a good octane booster as it lowers combustion temps allowing more timing without knock. Even though the IAT sensor isn't measuring a difference with the water being injected I believe the water will be taking heat from the combustion cycle.

Benny.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control

I will be running full water probably just before the sensor, so it probably won't show the full advantages through the data logger but hopefully will see it on the dyno,

Where abouts was your injector located?

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control

Thanks Benny

Really appreciate all the help

I think I'm going to be one of the first FGTs to run water injection and any information is greatly appreciated

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 17y 2m 5d
On 12/03/2014 at 8:54 PM, FPV TRANNY said:

Whats are the best water to air intercoolers on the market? I Know KPM do one but who else?

On 03/04/2014 at 4:40 AM, chris_fpv said:

Benny who's doing the other unit that's in development ??

BPT Motorsport also make an intercooler kit for the Miami.  

http://www.bptmotorsport.com.au/product/airaid-synthaflow-mxp-series-cold-air-intake-system/