Diff And Blade Bushes Can They Both Be Done Using Ford's Special T

Breeze_xr

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 15d

I know that Ford have a special tool for changing the Diff bushes without dropping the rear cradle but I was wondering whether the blade bushes have to have the rear cradle dropped or whether they can be fitted using the Diff bush tool. <br />I have been quoted by 2 places and they were both around $600 and they said the rear end needs to be dropped.<br />Are they trying to rip me off or is this reasonable? <br /><br />Also where is the best place in the Newcastle area for this work I'm having a hard time finding someone to do it.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 2d

Everyone I know drops the cradle to do diff bushes including me. Im unaware Ford had a tool to do them in the car and couldn't see how it would be possible.

Happy to be proven wrong though. Some guys on this forum have changed only the rear diff bush without dropping the cradle by putting a large hole in their spare wheel well but I wouldn't recommend it. The quotes you have sound about right.

• Member For: 11y 8m 28d

how do they do the diff bush without droping cradle? the bolts to long?

also the control blade bushs you need to remove the arms which is not that hard, like 5 nuts/bolts each side and its off

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 2d

Probabley undo the diffbolt through the hole they make in the sparewheel well. Like I said I drop the cradle when I do them.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 15d

My uncle who is a recently retired mechanic told me about it and I had heard on here that there is a tool that could do the Diff bushes without removing the cradle<br /><br />Ok thanks that answers my question about the blade bushes so it is the Diff bushes that is driving up the cost of it

• Member For: 11y 8m 28d

yeah its mainly labour costs. I have herd of the cradle being droped a little to do diff bushs but never herd of it staying where it is to do it without (as mentioned) drilling a hole in spare wheel well

• Member For: 17y 10m 24d

we have the original ford tool for doing the diff bushes, the cradle must be removed using this tool, without butchering the car by cutting holes in it, maybe ford have updated their tool but not aware of it

• Menace
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 29d

No way in phuck would I bother drilling a hole... In saying that I have a hoist and electric fork :)

You just need to lower it carefully, don't even undo the tailshaft if ya can get away with it.