Battery Drain - Ba Xr6T

xr6boosted

• Member For: 12y 2m 29d

Hi guys, My battery is going flat if I leave my car for more than 24hours, 6 month old century 550cca battery and alternator have been checked and are both fine. I started to problem solve the issue by firstly unplugging my aftermarket constantly powered boost and volt gauges and that only made a slight improvement. Next I removed the lights from the boot and glove box and still nothing. I also had a faulty door actuator and thought that May be the fault so I replaced that and still no improvement. I have even tested not arming the alarm overnight to see if that helps but when I start the car the following day I am still seeing a drain of 0.7v at least.. It's better but still draining to the extent of a few days causing a flat battery.

I don't have a multimeter which is obviously the next step to start pulling fuses but do you guys happen to have any ideas of common battery drains on these vehicles?

Thanks.

• Member For: 15y 4m 22d

The fault finding procedure is to monitor the standbye drain current from the battery. To do this is very simple, you connect an in line ammeter (should be milliamps)and measure the drain when the car is shut down. Simple maths will then tell you the potential standby time for the battery to reach a point where it won't start. I don't know what that current should be but cars should stand for probably over 8 weeks or more before you could get problems with starting. If the current is high in standby, then start popping fuses until you find which is causing the problem. Most of the stuff that's on all the time (alarm, computer and stuff) draw very small power when in standby. An Auto electrician should be able to find the problem. Don't discount the potential that you have excessive start drain when you start the car. Also don't discount that you have a faulty battery even though it appears OK. Remember to disconnect the ammeter before you try and start the ca, or open doors or anything else that draws current - otherwise BANG!goes your meter. A faulty or weak battery in a BA/F/G causes all sorts of strange things to happen. The BA abd FG falcons have a timeout on the interior and boot light. If htey are accidentally left on they turn off automatically after a while. So it won't be that. Power drain like this can be caused by faulty looms. If you've had the car worked on or damage repair then it's possible some damage to cabling may be happened. That can be hard to find.

• Like 1

• Member For: 17y

I discovered some years ago... When I disconnected the Battery on my BA MK2 T. and then reconnected it, I could hear the Disc-Player resetting itself. Klick klick klick... and that is with NO KEY in the Ignition.

So there must be a few things that are getting Power all the time...

One would be the Door-Look System, the Instrument Electronic Unit, Sound/Radio System.

When the Battery is disconnected/reconnected the Fuel and Km averages will go to 0.

As I do not use my T every day ( Sometimes not for a few Weeks) I fitted A Quick-Disconnect Unit to the Battery. Its just a matter of turning a Knob.

• Member For: 17y

Expensive Daewoo had a Problem a few years ago...

September 24th, 2007

A technical adviser for a Sydney Expensive Daewoo dealership explained the following to CarAdvice:

“The issue does vary alot with the different models.

Expensive Daewoo have release updated BCM (Body Control Module) software to correct SOME
of the charge problems, the new software changes the the rate of charge from the
altenator and sets the BCM’s “state of charge” to a different tolerance.

We have had some cases where the batteries in new VE’s have been faulty from
factory, with the batteries only receiving half charge.
When only given half charge from factory the ECU and BCM automatically see this
as “default charge” and will only ever charge to that level.
This level is enough to start the vehicle and operate all the systems, but the
drain becomes too much for a half charged batteries, so if the problem is
presented to the dealerships, the battery is usually replaced and the updated
BCM software is installed.

The drain issue changes from model to model, we have had a Calais V where we
replace 2 modules of the electronic system to correct the battery drain issue.

The issue can sometimes be the computer system (the high and low speed buses of
the ECU and other components), they have a shutdown timer as they stay active
after the vehicle has been shut off for other features of the vehicle, like
lighting features and security.

Sometimes they need resetting as they stay on for too long after the ignition
has been turned off and can drain the battery.”

http://www.caradvice.com.au/6514/holden-ve-commodore-battery-drain-issue-resolution/

Edited by f-wolf

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 16d

I have noticed my 6 month old battery gets low after sitting for 5 days, I have a 3 led Ctek battery monitor and its flashing red (low) by day 2.

I talked to my auto sparkie,he has a FG F6 , and he too noticed his was almost flat after 5 days of no use. His advice was that the falcons draw a fair bit in parasitic loss for the bcm etc , driving daily its not a problem, but sitting around it is better to keep a charger on them like the Ctek.

Mine took one and a half days to reach full charge according to the indicator lights.

Another interesting / pita trick the low voltage was causing, was if I turned the car off and restarted it without removing the keys from the ignition the trans went into limp mode- traction light flashing/'D' flashing on the dash, sluggish slurry half-assed drive and a lost communication code recorded. :censored:

If I took the keys out of the ignition and the put them back in and started it , no problems, everything normal. :dontknow:

When the battery is fully charged though the problem is not there, so definatly a voltage issue.

Really appreciate the responses guys, gives me a direction for getting this resolved. My feeling was the battery was faulty from day 1 because the indicator has always said 'replace' from new. Have had it checked three times at supercheap who assure me the gadget they use to test it will pick up any faults and that's it perfectly fine. I'm still not convinced so I think the best option is to get a sparky check for an obvious drain and if there isn't one I will be back for a new battery under warranty.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it turns out. Accident repair is a possible cause as I have found out it has received a nice nudge in the rear somewhere in its past life, apparently it likes a bit of rear nudging I am not going to judge but it's concerning none the less.

A quick disconnect unit is a good idea, even as a theft deterrent so I will look into that as well.

Cheers.

Edited by xr6boosted

• 2 weeks later...

I have isolated the drain to engine bay fuse number 9 40amp 'battery no.1'. All I know about this fuse is that I can't start the car without it.

Can anyone tell me what this fuse does exactly? Does the alarm run off this circuit by any chance.