Wrong Oil, Correct Oil

jsun70

• Member For: 10y 7m 10d

Hello,

I have a question for all you oil experts.

I just paid wwaaayy to much for the 15 k Capped Svc. on my 2012 FG XR6 TURBO. Afterwards I noiticed they put Full Syn. 5w-30 in it rahter than the recommended 15w-40. The short question is. Should I take it back and have them change it out?

Thanks!

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 23d

Not 100% sure but you'll get the answer from someone.

do correct me if im wrong once its changed I don't think you can go back. Is this right?

• Member For: 10y 7m 10d

I don't think it's as big of an issue as first thought. Plus I believe the 15w-40 in a blend. The problem with switching is when you go back and forth between reg. oil and Syn. multuple times...not a good idea I've heard.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 28d

Happened to me when I took it to Ford... Went back and told them, they said it has the right oil.... It's the service manger putting down wrong oil on the bill...hopefully same thing happened to you

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 19d

Same thing happened to me at the 15k service.

They put the mobil 5w-30 in. When I asked the service manager, he said they use this all the time. They want to look after the engines to make sure that they last longer and don't break down as much.

I didn't fall for that at all and I reckon it was all BS. However every service after that, they did only ever put in Mobil 5w-30.

If something happens to your car under warranty and they say it is your oil, then your invoices for your service is your only proof.

Keep those invoices safe as.

I wouldn't want anything happening to my engine either, knock on wood. but if it did happen, it should be covered by the dealer, if you only service it there and nowhere else.

My 2cents worth

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 24d

masda, that sounds a bit suss? Are you still taking your car into seaview ford? I questioned it on mine, and apparently I was in the same boat as Pazzo cause the service guy rekons it was a typo and that they actually put in Mobil XHP 15W-40

But seeing as your is still newish and low kms, maybe they have a different running in period where they use the 5w-30 oil? Thinking Penrite stuff from now on but :)

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 19d

They only ever got to service it twice.

I have since done mods to the car and Rob at MT is now servicing it from now onwards.

Car has just done 34k on the clock. When it hits 37.5k it will get another clean batch of oil.