Does My G6Et Really Require Replacement?

knaps

• Member For: 13y 6m 22d

Hi guys,

Few months ago I noticed my turbo started whistling a bit more than usual, typically on mid-revs when accelerating. It started getting worse and more noticable in the last few weeks. Also, there was a sharp, metallic noise that also started occuring on mid-high revs (on lower gears, just before changing the gear).

I took it to Ford for a check up and that's the advise they have given me:

"Turbo is showing signs that the impeller has rubbed on the turbo housing. To rectify this concern, the turbo will require replacement. Turbo shaft has an excessive play".

New car warranty expired 6 months ago (aaarrrgh!) and I've been told that they may try to "talk to Ford" to find out can they do something about it, but most likely it will cost me around $3,500 for a replacement.

I know it's hard to ask you to assess wether Ford is right or not without any photos or actually seeing the car, but, does it sound like something that really could have happened and the only solution is to get a new turbo? What would be the implications of it - loss of performance, boost leaks, etc.?

Also, the price... $3,500?!?! Isn't new GTX3582R around $1,900? Not sure how much would be the labour though... From experience I know Ford charges sh*t loads for any service.

I don't really know what to do, should I just keep on driving on what I have (I'm concerned though that it may affect performance and it just doesn't sound too healthy at times), or get a new turbo... if getting new turbo is really required, go stock or aftermarket? I probably wouldn't be asking Ford to service it as I don't trust their prices, in that case, any places you could recommend in Melbourne for this sort of thing?

Also, if going aftermarket, what should I keep in mind, e.g. quicker wear and tear of the engine, additional stress on other underlying components etc?

Many thanks!

• Member For: 17y 10m 23d

A GTX complete ready to fit on is going to be a lot dearer than what you have mentioned, you need a rear housing, you may be able to use yours if it hasn't been damaged, the wastegate port and flapper will require modifications, the front cover needs a boost reference nipple fitted, you need an actuator and will require a custom actuator bracket and the front cover has a 4" opening so a new intake will be required. You will then need a tune and the supporting mods to support the new boost level

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 6m 22d

Ouch, ok, sounds very intrusive then... and probably too expensive already. Maybe if I was looking to turn it into a performance beast, but I'm not really... I just want to have a smooth, well working turbo.

Do you reckon $3,500 for stock turbo isn't too much though? Or maybe any other aftermarket turbo that you could recommend that wouldn't require such massive changes as the GTX?

• Member For: 17y 10m 23d

that is cheap if ford are using a ford genuine turbo, they used to be a lot dearer than that years ago, well the BA/F turbo was anyway, we recently replaced a turbo on a G6ET, it can be done for under $2500 but he warranty normally calls for a new oil feed line so I would recommend fitting one of the aftermarket lines and possibly changing the oil and filter while doing it all

• Member For: 11y 8m 27d

aint a genuine ford turbo the exact same as the ones sold on ebay that are garrot for like 1500-2500?

I know ford wanted just over 7k when I asked for laughs about 3 months ago

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 24d

A GTX complete ready to fit on is going to be a lot dearer than what you have mentioned, you need a rear housing, you may be able to use yours if it hasn't been damaged, the wastegate port and flapper will require modifications, the front cover needs a boost reference nipple fitted, you need an actuator and will require a custom actuator bracket and the front cover has a 4" opening so a new intake will be required. You will then need a tune and the supporting mods to support the new boost level

Why would he need a port and flapper work?