Is This Fake Garrett?

fastfwd

• Member For: 12y 5m

Hi guys,

purchased a turbo of a guy on ebay. Wasnt a shop that sells multiple china gear or anything like that. Was just a guy saying he bought this turbo for his BA conversion and never installed it.

Can you help me find out if its fake. Only reason im thinking this is because it doesnt have a garrett plate stamped into the core which im used to most of them having. Otherwise all of it looks real including the FORD exhaust housing.

I have a feeling it might be fake core with garrett compressor and exhaust housing.

jNDzqn3l.jpg
IypEcB6l.jpg

fVCFOT6l.jpg

UuLn3QEl.jpg

6PMmJjul.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed!.

On first glance I felt that the silver on the compressor housing was much to fake looking for a genuine garrett

then looking at the core it doesnt have a stamped garrett badge which also got me worried.

It is brand new thought. I havent had a new garrett turbo in 3-4 years so I may have forgotten what they look like and ive never had a new Garrett GT3582 and they might be different also.

Other than the badge are there any other ways I can check if its a garrett core?

how much did you pay

$1900 with custom exhaust manifold that he said cost him $300. The price was $2100 but I dropped him down to $1900.

Sandblasted Rebuilt Turbo has been Sandblasted while being Rebuilt

This is what im thinking...hopefully. I'll put up some more details pictures with some carvings and stamps I have found.

Things I have noticed:

• The exhaust flange has 17F stamped on the side of it
  • The compressor housing - pressure side has the number 3 stamped on it
  • It has 1c192 etched/engraved into the core where the stamp should be.
  • right next to the oil dump and water feed it has X 1/4 stamped on it
  • the flanges and the oil and water feeds are not raw milled metal, it looks painted over
  • The oil feed sections have dents in them which looks as if its a rebuild
  • The wastegate flapper and arm looks painted over

zDo4IMul.jpgMOSnn6Tl.jpgpV33YoEl.jpgjH8ct3dl.jpg07cj7TDl.jpga0JGfE6l.jpgumDhWu6l.jpgfnITgBsl.jpg8xkiQxSl.jpgVm9ueXCl.jpg5hAmaXal.jpggW1gClel.jpglvVEuIIl.jpg

Edited by fastfwd