Kinugawa Japanese Turbo Wheel And Housing

fastfwd

• Member For: 12y 4m 5d

Do you think the change was worth it that you did on you gt3582 with 11 blade? do you think now you should have gone 6+6? or your happy where you're at?

I emailed KTS turbo parts and they replied within 2 hours <----which is what I like to see, shows good business.

I asked about billet wheels for our turbo's and he replied with these:

Wheel 1

Wheel 2

$297 USD each

I have asked him what the difference is between the two and what difference I will see on our motor eg spool, power, flow etc.

he should reply soon, I will let you know what he says.

Sure did.....

He also just replied with this:

From customer experience, 6 blades gives more peak power, while 11 blades provides more boost on early-mid stage.

If you’re not sure what you want, I recommend stick to standard blades which is 3562C(6 blades, Tapered Tip 18°) as the differences are minor and all works well, enclosed dyno for your reference.

Attached picture is his reference. I believe this was completed on a EVO 8. I asked him if it was dyno tuned or straight swap and dyno result. I will see what he says.

mNSmr19.jpg

The above dyno result was the change from 1.0 to 1.3bar and MFS3562C KTS standard billet replacement. Same fins with 18 degree tip change and its 13% lighter thus he said giving 13% quicker spool with the standard A/R .50 comp housing.

Bolts straight in with no modifications to the housing needed.

Edited by Dagabond

• Member For: 20y 11m 27d

Do you think the change was worth it that you did on you gt3582 with 11 blade? do you think now you should have gone 6+6? or your happy where you're at?

You would really need to do dyno testing to see the pros and cons.

The 11 blade wheel is a copy of the GTX wheel so it would follow the garret compressor maps pretty much. Its definatley a better wheel up top end compared to the stock GT 6+6.

I think the billet 6+6 has got little tweeks around the nose centre section, blade thickness and extended tips maybe some increase in height of the blades. Just get one and put it on. Just make sure you have dyno before and after.

• Member For: 14y 9m 19d

Quote from Robert Young (owner of Forced Performance turbos on the GTX full blade compressors vs the HTA 7 + 7 blade setups.

The GTX is a carry over from OEM applications where noise control is very very important. While it is a newer aero package, it does make sacrifices to be a quiet as it is. Typically all full blade designs are used for targeting a narrow band of operating conditions on a compressor map, and we initially investigated doing this as well in 2005 when we began our design proccess for the HTA wheel aero package. Ultimately we abandonded it due to the limitations that the full blade style puts on the width of the operating map. The HTA (actually HTA15) surpasses the performance of the full blade variants on both the surge and choke flow ends of the compressor map, oddly enough these are the exact 2 regions of the map that most people operate in without even knowing it and this is why the HTA outperforms the GTX when compared head to head with matching inducer diameters. In my trip the the MHI turbocharger research laboratories in Nagasaki in the summer of 2011 I was introduced first hand to the extreme effort these OEM put into noise control for aero on compressor wheels, it is their number 1 concern - this shocked me. They do not focus on 5:1 pressure ratios, they dont focus on surge line compressor efficiency, they dont focus on flat RPM lines and wide maps - they want the turbo to be quiet - end of story. Mercedes doesnt want to buy loud turbochargers.

The GTX is not a blank page design for high power small engines, it is something Garrett already created for an Motor Company and it was billet, so it fit the marcket needs. For example it does not take the blade thickness down to the minimum, it places a higher priority on million mile powertrain warranty performance. Ever had a race car that ran for a million miles on the same turbocharger?

The HTA was designed as a blank page effort targeting ONLY high pressure ratio efficiency (5:1), surge line efficiency, and flat RPM lines thru as much of the map as possible. To this day we do a steady stream of GTX conversions to HTA, if you know anyone that needs any pull-off GTX wheels, give me a ring.

Source:

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/79934-gtx-vs-hta-questions-answered-by-forced-performance/

Edited by juggernaut
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8d

Let us know how it goes.

Gents.. Dropped off the turbo and Kinugawa parts to mtq this morning. Here's a few pictures of their products before installing into the turbo. Will let you know how it balances and how the turbo runs once installed.

post-48801-138656579814_thumb.jpg

post-48801-138656581204_thumb.jpg

post-48801-138656582186_thumb.jpg

post-48801-138656583196_thumb.jpg

post-48801-138656584021_thumb.jpg

post-48801-138656584819_thumb.jpg

• billet turbos and weathered engines dont mix
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 10m 6d

in for this, I'm very interested too as they look of similar quality to garrett, an see why they can't be competing with big boys with the tech they ave these days….