masda74

Fg Xr6T Going In For Mods And Tune Soon.

Well I have been lurking for close to 2 years now and have never officially started a thread.

I thought it was time to start a thread and introduce myself as well.

I am based in Perth and do IT for a living. I will be hitting the big 40 next year and so time is flying by. I am not young anymore and so it is time to get things happening.

I have a 2011 FG XR6T in sunburst. First mod it got at 400km was a K&N filter.

It has been stock standard for too long now and I want to know what this mod bug is all about.

I have done my research and visited two of the main tuners in WA.

I have chosen to go with MT as I got along with Rob and Darren well.

That being said these are the planned mods:

* 5" high Flow 100CPI Venom Cat

* 1000cc injectors

* PW Stage 2 intercooler

* Xcal 3 with a single Ron 98 tune.

* Aeroflow short shifter

* supplied Earls inline oil filter for the turbo.

* Valve springs if it is required otherwise a PW surge tank

A few things concern me though and I have brought it up.

I will only be getting a Ron 98 tune. I would like to at least have a Ron95 tune, in case of an emergency, but this would be an additional cost. How much does a xcal3 and 3 tunes cost notmally?

The restrictor ring in the exhaust will be removed when the new cat is put in. I am hoping that the exhaust will flow well enough for the car to hit 300-330rwkw. Some people have suggested getting a 4" dump as well for better flow. Is that right? Is it worth the coinage?

With the installation of the PW surge tank, the factory fuel pump is left in the tank.

I was advised to go with either a walbro pump and no surge tank or surge tank and standard pump.

If I go with the walbro pump and decide to do more mods in the future(like get the exhaust and turbo changed), the walbro pump will need to come out if I get a surge tank.

I am not sure if the coinage to be spent on the surge tank is worth while, or if I am better off putting that money towards something else.

Have I missed anything?

Car is due to go in at the begining of December.

Std dump pipe is fine

A surge is worth it over a intank everyday

And yeh something needs to happen to either the stock intake ( 2nd hole at front ) or a aftermarket CAI ( herrod one is nice )

Make sure the car has a major service ( all filters, plugs etc etc ) then your on the right track

Custom tunes vary between $200-880 per tune after the initial tune

I will be leaving the intake as standard, but there will be a few holes drilled under the box. I really want to keep this sleeper like and reduce the amount of attention it draws.

I have already been pulled over by the cops asking what mods I have done to the car because I have it debadged.

I have ordered the black PW stage 2 intercooler to try and reduce attention. ;)

The car has hit 32,000 km and has it's service recently at 30,000km. I will speak to Rob about getting the filters replaced.

I shall try and stick with the surge tank, but if the valve springs float, then the coinage will go towards that, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies. Now the count down begins. 11 days to go.

I have recently had a pm sent to me asking if I had any plans to change anything on the driveline.

I replied back that at these levels I don't think there is a need to. As far as I am aware, the dealership where I got the car from says that the gearbox is rate to +-450 ponies

For the rest of the driveline, like the shaft for example, it should be fine since I don't do burn outs.

Does anything need strengthening?

Awesome, so does that means I need to consider changing anything?

I don't have any plans to take her to the track or the drags.

When I referred to burnouts, I was referring more to abusing the driveline.

Yes it is a manual, but it does get feathered aroun

Edited by masda74

I have already been pulled over by the cops asking what mods I have done to the car because I have it debadged.

Man I've never been pulled over and have done a huge amount of debadged kms...must be the plain look of the silver paint :)

You'll jizz your pants at the power after all those parts go on and it gets a custom tune!

TXHoE2N.jpg

Edited by -SteveR-

Your on the Right track, Check that your Air Filter is clean otherwise a good idea to replace it to ensure it's flowing the best it can.

XCal tune is normally $1500 if you don't have the box to begin with but varies with tuners.

I would say if your only tuned on 98 and if you have to fill up with 95, just drive it very gently but talk to your tuner on this as they will know what their tune will tolerate. Only drive your car on the fuel it was tuned for, e.g if you used BP98, always use BP98.

The Factory cat back is a 3" Exhaust for the most part, it will flow fine and support that power.

I suggest you include tyres as part of your performance upgrade.

Edited by Z2TT

Well she has been dropped off today instead of tomorrow morning.

Hows that for services. Man Rob works hard to get the cars out the doors.

I cant believe that he was working today.

:)

Well it has been a busy day at MT. No results yet, but I know that they have been busy putting everything in.

They will be doing the tuning tomorrow.

The initial stock dyno run showed a result of 245rwkw. I was gob smacked with that. I was expecting something along the lines of 220-230rwkw.

That being said, Rob and Darren have their work cut out for them.

Manuals show more power on the dyno remember, so maybe it's about right?

Nah Steve, I was not aware of this. I am assuming that this is the case to compensate for the incompetent driver of the stick shifter.

So if a manual driver goes to the drags, he needs more power and a short shifter to try and get better times.

:P

Lol manuals loose ~ 17% through the drive line compared to zf at ~20% so ull always read higher on the rollers as zf fg's are ball park at 220rwkw

Stick shift at the track requires nearly an extra 80rwkw for same times as zf

Well that being said, I wont be able to keep up with Steve then.

The results are in and I believe 310rwkw came up on themlast two runs at a safe 11PSI.

post-48919-0-35603000-1386072069_thumb.j

Once I get in to work tomorrow, I will scan in all said documents.

As always no pics means it didnt happen.

That short shifter feels great but the stick sits higher.

Wow how is that possible, short shifters are obviously more complex than I thought?

Good power on low low boost!

What was the limiting factor, did you get an upgraded intank pump?

Congrats masda you must be happy with the result. How can they get so much more power with only 1psi more boost than stock? Or is that up top when the little turbo is falling away?

Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply. I have been trying to scan in the dyno sheets, but they are coming up pixelated.

Something to do with the copiers at work.

Wow how is that possible, short shifters are obviously more complex than I thought?

Good power on low low boost!

What was the limiting factor, did you get an upgraded intank pump?

Hey Steve, I believe Rob did push it up to it's limits but then brought it back down to 310rwkw.

I was not after a specific number and did not want to be pushing the limits of the little turbo.

Rob did bring it back down to 11psi so that it was running at a safe config.

I know that afew people will say that there is no safe config, which is fair enough, but I rather the 310rwkw than the 330rwkw and have something break down in a few months time.

From what I can gather there limiting factor would be the exhaust and the small snail.

The intake pump was left as is and the PW surge tank was put it. I heeded to your warnings about this and thought that I would be better off safe than sorry.

The valves did not float and so this meant that I could afford to get the surge tank put in. :)

when the next round of mods come along in 3-5 years time, I will have the supporting mods already installed for a new exhaust and snail. :)

Congrats masda you must be happy with the result. How can they get so much more power with only 1psi more boost than stock? Or is that up top when the little turbo is falling away?

Thank Lennox. I am very happy with the result. she just wants to keep climing all the way up the rev range.

From the use of the torque app on my android app, the most I ever saw the boost go up to was 6psi.

Last noite on my private cruise, I saw it hit 12psi. not the turbo bro.

Great result, must be happy with that.

I have also never seen more then 7.5 psi in all the data logging I have done on my FG.

Will be interested to see you torque and boost curves if you have them on the dino printouts.

Well it was a challenge to get this scanned in as a jpg file without any pixelation on the image.

I had to visit another division of our company to get this scanned in.

PITA!!!!!!

Now I have no idea if they had already done anything to the car when they did the stock run.

All I know is that the stock run said 10psi. I never ever saw it go over 6psi in the TORQUE application for my android phone.

post-48919-0-02710900-1386163807_thumb.j

Last night when I was out on a cruise it did show up as just a tad under 12psi, so I get the feeling that TORQUE is not telling fibs.

Good onya Marko !

It's great to see you finally got your mods done, I know they've been coming for a long time.

Enjoy the power....but not too much :busted1: