Xr6T Ute Massive Understeer Problem In Wet!

_Velocity_

• Member For: 10y 6m 15d

Hey guys

I've recently purchased an xr6t UTE and it seems to keep slipping in the wet.

I have to take round a bouts extremely slow when it's raining otherwise the front starts to slide out of my lane. My last car was a Ba xt sedan and it NEVER understeered to the extent of the ute. I've owned 2 falcons, 2 camrys and a Late model camira and they were all fairy normal. I have to drive like an indian L plater with every round a bout in this ute. The tread on the front is 60% and 90% on the back. (fairly cheap daily driving looking tires)

I've never experienced such horrible understeer in the wet with any car in my life until now (not even with bold tires!!!) I've never owned a ute before either.

Does anyone have any solutions? Recommend any tires? Is this normal with the Ba utes??????

I suppose there is nothing wrong with taking every round a bout DEAD SLOW but it's an inconvinience and dangerous to anyone who borrows my car and isnt use to it.

Thanks

Edited by Petefordman

• Banned
  • Banned
  • Member For: 13y 6m 17d

Spent a long time in Subaru world, imported part time for sideline, loved it.

However, they're pretty bad for understeer which is corrected mostly by an up rated rear anti roll bar(sway bar ) .

Rear seems to sort the front on them so I wonder if the falcon could benefit from this ?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 4d

bigger front sway bar will make the understeer worse

I hear what you're saying (and on paper it is correct), but I was speaking generally. (also countered by rear bar adjustments)

In my circuit experience, and I have quite a bit in these cars, I've tried a lot of things to reduce understeer.

Slight increase in front tyre pressure and dropping the rear pressure slightly helps.

Reducing the front spring rate and front sway bar size works on paper but in general this doesn't make the car handle better overall in my opinion.

Meaning, you can't change one thing on a stockish car and expect all negative aspects of handling to be resolved.

More front negative camber, front toe out and castor works wonders.

If you want it to handle, speak to V8 brute ute racers or the professionals that set them up.

By the sounds of things though, a set of Asymmetrics will solve all your problems for street use (and slower speed) in the wet.

Edited by nelsonian101
  • Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 5d

I have tyre that came with my rims, they are "Tri-Ace" brand "Carreras" and they are decent in a straight line.

Put a slight dew on the road though and the things feel like they are 10cm wide. Abhorrent wet weather performance straight or cornering. Cannot wait to replace them, thank fark it's summer now.

What exact tyres are on there? How are they in the dry?

• Like 1