Turbo Intake

kylec

• Member For: 10y 6m 27d

Hi all,

Had a bit of a look around but havent been able to find anything to answer the question..

My question is, if I was to put on a 4" intake to the turbo and relocate the battery to either boot or other side of engine bay (is that's possible!?) Will the car need to be tuned straight away? will it cause any damage if it isnt tuned? And is it a big benefit if im chasing 3-350rwkw?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 7m 17d

In my FG, I am running the stock intake into the turbo... minus the muffler at the turbo and with a KandN air filter panel. the only mod to the airbox itself is a 4 inch /100mm hole in the lower half.

I make 387rwkw on this setup with other mods.

Ok thanks,

Ill be putting it in a bf mk2 6speed manual.. I like the idea of the short distance the air needs to travel so there it comes on boost quicker/stronger?

• Member For: 11y 11m 23d

Your main benefit from short intake is louder spool and these heat generated in the intake from intake traveling over the engine. Not exactly quicker spooling.. Good mod but generally pricey unless you can make one up yourself..

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 7m 17d

short intake = more noise

free flowing exhaust gives spool time.

its all about getting the air in and out as efficiently as possible.

I know of some big HP cars running just a pod filter on an extension off the turbo... no box as such.

I like the Plaz setup shown above, but am a big fan of airbox... bigger is better, so keep the battery out of it in my opinion... it will allow for a larger filter surface as well as a larger volume.

maybe just a high flow cat pipe, open up the stock air box and see how you go. I am a big fan spend-less results, and not making half way steps.. (say you're looking for 500hp but can only afford a stage 1 cooler but you really want a stage 2 cooler... dont settle, spend the $$ once and spend it where you need to, dont spend it, then re-spend it again later... if you get what I mean)

surely an opened airbox, a free flowing exhaust and a few other little bits will get you where you want to be power wise, for a reasonable amount of coin..

Just my .02c

Edited by Chaos310
  • Like 2

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d

+1

Air intake kits are big dollars compared to the performance gain. Sound is harder to quantify though. Mine has a loud induction noise just from having the tune done and F6 intake. Stock snorkle is gone to make way for cold side pipe to stock crossover. I think the straight edge on the original pipe is what makes it really raspy. Tuner said not to worry about heat from it either, so I haven't :)

Ok thanks, at the moment I have the F6 intake a 'monza'? Intercooler and twin 2.5inch cat back. Also getting 4inch dump and cat to make hopefully 300ish rwkw..

Will this suffice or will I be better off spending the money first?