Akebono Brake Pads

xsicute

• 8 months later...
  • Member For: 10y 4m 18d

Just spoke to an expert an a major brake retailer /manufacturer who couldnt speak highly enough of these pads..

Said they were a MUCH better option to the usual hpx/remsa/ferrodo etc..

As a street/strip pad said they were pretty much the best on the market although wouldnt recommend them for a serious track day..

He also recommended the T3 4000s as u said and stated they are the perfect combo together..Quote was about $1050 for all 4 corners..

Would also love to hear others opinions who have actually used them

• 1 year later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 22d

I hope to have a first-hand opinion on the Akebono Performance pads soon. I'm getting them fitted with new dba4000 T3 slotted rotors to my fronts tomorrow.

Spoke with Race Brakes Howard Reynolds and he recommended them to me as an alternative to Bendix DB1473 Ultimates - says he uses them on Evo's alot after I told him what I was after in a pad.

Here's a brochure I found about Akebono brake pads.

akebono_brochure_english.pdf

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Here are some pics of the the dba 4000 T3 slotted rotors (dba 4504S $300 for pair front rotors) and Akebono Performance pads (ASP1587 $140 for set of 4 pads for front) fitted to my fronts today at Race Brakes in Yarraville VIC.

Definitely feel the difference this early on on the drive home - pulled up quickly to standstill from 60km/h much better than before. No noise so far as well. My dba4000 slotted rotors from before were worn down to 27mm (from 28mm) and my Bendix Heavy Duty pads were considerably worn down as well. Looking forwards to commenting on how they go in the coming weeks :beerchug:

My old set of rotors and pads
iPqqzRm.jpg

lxCRTFL.jpg

dba4000 T3 slotted rotors (DBA 4504S 298mm - note the size and dont get the 325mm ones!!!)

aVfGX30.jpg

eQDWwrL.jpg

PwKfjJR.jpg

b0fLHHV.jpg

7JkaYAv.jpg

Akebono Performance pads (ASP1587 equivalent to db1473)

V6cRfCR.jpg

joGT9dy.jpg

liXAOAS.jpg

WEeeq63.jpg

FMM4eWH.jpg

New rotors and pads :spoton:

ANjjRu5.jpg

Ahh7JN6.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

:nod:

Well 10 days in and really pleased with my choice so far. dba4000 T3 slotted rotors with Akebono Performance pads appear to be performing as per what I have read on tire rack reviews and elsewhere - braking is gradual with light pressure of the brake and then bites in when I press harder. I prefer that in my opinion - my sis drives a Volvo V70 and the brakes on that bite hard with the slightest pressure - found it unnerving at times.

No brake dust that I could see - just normal road grime on the alloys.

No squealing. Been a few times when I thought it was me but turned out it was someone else nearby squealing (usually drive with my window down around town).

I guess importantly - no brake shudder either (which was why I sent dba4000 slotted rotors back in 2009).

Have not done any spirited driving yet (plenty of work on) - but heading out to Traralgon way next week for work so may take a scenic detour on the way :drivingalong:

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

So took the new dba4000 T3 slotted with new Akebono Performance pads for a ummm scenic drive. Really good stopping performance - plenty of twigs and branches to get around on the roads (was a bit blowey). No squealing. Only the expected brake smell from twisties.

Here's the route - it's truly cruise worthy :drivingalong:

B794hgC.png

Before the twisties.

a2Ab9Ke.jpg

After the twisties - barely any brake dust and mostly road grime.

51pWS91.jpg

By the way Thomson Dam wud be a great photo opp

hc0K6cI.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

So 6 months in and the Akebono front pads still braking strongly - no squealing and barely fark all dusting up either.  No issues observed with them at all.